Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pezabelle

Painting books

pezabelle
15 years ago

I am trying to find a book that was lost during our recent visit by our local river. I do not remember the name of the book or the artist. It contained things for fall and I would like to find the Thanksgiving items. There was a boy/girl pilgim, she is holding a pie and he has a turkey by his leg. They are made to fit the front of a mason jar. There was more than one book by this artist showing the same pilgrims in different scenes. It very well could have been a book by various artists.

As I am replacing all of my books, any suggestions as to where I can find them - new or used - at a resonable price would be helpful.

Thank You,

PezaBelle

PS. the name refers to my Pez collecting

Comments (10)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Pezabelle, welcome to the Painting forum. I am so sorry about your recent losses. All the flooding was so terrible, my heart goes out to you. There are so many patterns similar to what you describe, but not sure about the mason jar part. You might take a look at www.paintingonjars.com. The only other suggestion I have would be to check the painting books on Ebay. Good luck with your search, and I hope you will come back to chat and share projects and ideas with us. Luvs

• pezabelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank You for the suggestions...eBay gets a lot of my business. The figures are made of wood and a wire is attached to both side of each figure and runs around the jar. The same figures are used in diferent poses, some with pumpkins. I purchased the book from the Artist Club but they don't keep "older" issues of books, only current.

I will keep trying and thanks for the kind words.

• anjabee
    15 years ago

pezabelle~ I'm sorry to hear your books got damaged. I would be so upset as well. I've been trying to aid in the search for your book, but so far have turned up nada. I find a good many out of print books at my local thrift store so maybe you can try some in your area to replace what you've lost.
    There is one site that I'm thinking you may like to look thru their books. I'll add the link below. Their books range from $3 up and you may find some to replace your books there.
    And if you are looking for new patterns, there are a lot of different artists featured in the Painting and Quick and Easy Painting magazines. I can get Q&E Painting at my local Walmart and the Painting one I just get and use from my library.
    I'll keep you in mind if I run across the pilgrims. ~Anj

Here is a link that might be useful: The Decorative Painting Store.

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Do keep checking Artists Club because even though they don't carry many older books anymore, sometimes you can still find some in their Clearance.

Other places I like for books on-line are:

http://www.viking-publications.com/

(they regularly have books for $2 - $4 each) and they change them often, like every 10 days to 2 weeks. I just bought a bunch of books from them again recently.

and http://www.decorativepaintingstore.com/index.html

http://www.painting-books.com/

http://www.homecraftexpress.com/ has a Closeout section that sometimes has a few good bargains.

www.amazon.com - has both new and used Decorative Painting books.

www.alibris.com - new and used

I've ordered from all of the above places over the years and have never experienced any problems.

Another place I check regularly for painting books is our local Half Price bookstore. They always have a good selection of older and new books at great prices. You need to check often because they can change quickly.

i.e. I went down there a few weeks ago and found several
    of The Painting Animals on Rocks books. I couldn't decide at that moment if I wanted them. I don't paint rocks but
    decided the patterns would have been great for the lids of boxes. I went back 2 days later and they were all gone.

Good luck in building up your library again.

• pezabelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WoW! Thank You All for the sites and suggestions! You have given me more to work from that I have found in the last 10 years. We are starting to put everything back into my painting area and now I am getting really antsy - I want to paint!

Thanks Again!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Pezabelle, there is also a post on this forum with a list of lots of sites that offer free painting patterns. That might be helpful to you also. Luvs

• craftylinda
    15 years ago

Pezabella, sorry to hear about your loss of painting books. I might be able to help you I have a large assortment of books I would like to sell at a reasonable price. Please contact me a lindasart52@yahoo.com for a list. Linda

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Pezabella, keep checking the TS too, I found a couple painting books and about 12 of the Painting, Toleworld, Decorative Artists, and Let's Paint magazines for 39 cents each today at a local one.

As the generation of older painters starts clearing out their supplies, I think more and more will be showing up. And what's nice is that even in older books, there are still allot of great patterns and ideas.

Luvs

• pezabelle
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to everyone for their support and suggestions....I have been checking out all of the "freebie" sites, some really nice patterns out there and I have found several new artists with realy great work.

Everything in my paint area (well almost) is up and I am painting again at last. It's like coming home to a warm fire, soft music and glass of wine.

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Great! We can't wait to see your first project! ~Anj