Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lafferty_gw

help learning to tole paint

lafferty
14 years ago

I am new;just joined today.I want to learn to tole paint.(I LUV the look!)but I have been online for 2 days and have not found anything helpful!I only want to do simple things;maybe

snowmen faces & pumpkins.Anyone know where I can get what I need for a beginner? Thanks!

Comments (4)

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

Welcome to the group! I hope you find what you are looking for from one of the members here.

When you say "tole" painting and then mention snowmen faces and pumpkins I think you have found the right place. There is a "big" discussion about the term "tole" painting. Most people now call it decorative painting, either way it is fun!

WoW! Where to start? To great magazines come to mind, Quick and Easy Painting and Painting Magazine. Both have a wide variety of techniques and skill levels and most have work sheets showing the steps. There are also books that contain just basic strokes, but most pattern books give you a great good idea of how each stoke is made.

There are also several online sites. One you might like to check out is www.PatriciaRawling.com she has videos on some of her packets as well as tips on strokes.

As to artists for beginners you might try Pat Olson and Gaye Schoell (someone correct me on her last name). Their patterns are basic and fun to paint.

As to the paint - each one of us have our favorites. My advice would be to choose a pattern and use the brand they recommend. The same goes for the brush's, but if you are really serious about painting, purchase the medium priced brush's. You will get better results with better brush's. But don't go all out unless you have a fortune to spend. You will also need a good brush cleaner, I use Winsor & Newton Brush Cleaner & Restorer...it is the best I have found...to witness half empty bottle of other cleaner sitting on my shelves.

More great sites are ArtistClub.com They carry just about everything and have free down loadable patterns - always a plus. Be sure to check out the website of the paint you purchase, quite often they have free patterns and basic tips as well as conversion charts (replacing Americana paint with Creamacoat, etc.) and color charts of all of their paints.

You might also like to take a look at our Gallery, lots of picture posted by our members and most have included the artist's name. You might find just what you are looking for in a style you like.

Again, glad to have you with us and please come back often!

Belle

• khspw
    14 years ago

I know Jamie Mills Price has cute pins to paint that a beginner could do. I also know that Valhalla has some of her wood cut outs and well as Bear With Us. You might check those sites and see what is out there. Hope this helps.

• paintingfool
    14 years ago

Where do you live? Email me at angelbrush1@yahoo.com and I will try to find someone in your area through the Society of Decorative Painters. Or you can check out their website www.decorativepainters.org. Look under Chapter Information, then how to find a chapter - follow the prompts and you might be able to find a chapter and their president. Good luck,
    B

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Lafferty,
    Welcome and I hope you can find some books to help you start tole painting. I used Chris Thronton's books to learn to tole paint. She explained from start to finish for me and it was easy to follow her instructions. Jami Mills Price and Susan Kelley are a couple of my favorite artists now.

If you go to this site: http://www.toletown.com/
    you can do online painting classes.
    Here is another site that is fun.
    http://puddlesofpaint.com/

If you have anyone close by who tole paints maybe you can ask them to teach a class and that will be enough to get you started. Good Luck with this and hope you will let us know how you progress.

Punk

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!