Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frances_ar

Tiles I painted

frances_ar
17 years ago

I painted these on commission for a contractor a few years ago, I just found the snapshots and got them uploaded into the computer. I use Porcelain 150 by Pebeo, that is an ink type paint, is baked on, food safe and very durable. The only downside of the paint is the cost and finding it easily. Michaels is the only place local that I can find it, and colors are limited here.

Â

Comments (6)

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Oh my gosh! That is so beautiful Frances. You did a wonderful painting job on that. Did you make more than just this one? Were they for the contractor to use in new homes he was building? Were they for over the stove or the sink? Tell me more details. I have never heard of Pebeo porcelain paints, but then I have never looked for them. Is the tile difficult to paint on? Do you seal them in some way or bake them? I am so glad you posted this pic--I knew there were lots of talented painters out there. Show us more. Luvs

• frances_ar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

They are for new homes under construction, and go behind the stove. There has been only one pattern that I used more than once. The contractor I do work for is a woman and she brings me the tiles and a peice of the wallpaper border she's using, and I 'create' a mural. It really is stressful, but at the same time I enjoy it. My favorite mural was destroyed in a fire, and the wallpaper border was no longer available, we all looked for it, the contractor, the homeowners, myself and even the restoration company, so that I could duplicate the painting. At the time, I gave one of only 2 pics I had of it to the homeowner, and the pics were taken with a disposable camera, so the quality isn't very good and there's a horrible glare. Here's the remaing pic of that one.

Â Â

Then about 2 years ago I was commissioned by another client to do a Dolphin mural for the shower.

Â Â

Still didn't have a good camera, or a cheap digital either.
    The paint is difficult to work with, you have to forget any other mediums you've used and 'learn' all over again with this paint. You can layer it, but each layer has to be totally dry or you'll pull off what you've already painted. You air cure it for at least 24 hours before baking in your home oven. I usually let mine cure for at least 48, because if it's not good and dry, it will 'blister'.
    I have done about 50 homes in the area, but didn't get many pictures. (I've even copied a womans 'favorite' bakeware pattern for her).

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Wow! Those are absolutely gorgeous Frances! Are the tiles you start on glazed or finished tiles or are they plain? I don't know if I'd have the patience to have to wait that long in between layers. But the end result is beautiful. How did you get into that business? So glad you shared! ~Anj

• frances_ar
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Anj, they are just plain white glazed tiles. I happened onto this type of painting solely by luck, I guess you'd say. My cousin and I had started learning ceramics after her MIL gave her the kiln and molds, so Deb and I taught ourselves ceramics, then I got impatient with the painting, (I always did hate 'coloring in the lines'), and started freeform painting on large eggs, plates, etc., had never painted anything before (outside of plaster and ceramics), so just taught myself to paint. My cousins DH is a tile layer, and he worked with this contractor, they had gone to school together. Anyway, he had put the tile up in her 1st house and told her it needed something behind the stove, and that he knew someone that could paint, and everything took off from there. I was so nervous doing the first mural, and hunted all avenues for the paint I could use and I wasn't at all happy with the paint (actaully, it wasn't the paint, but me. I was so inexperienced with painting that the first job was trial and error), but after it was installed I was happy with it. The rest is history, I've painted for her exclusive ever since, even though I have had other contractors and architects begging me, but I feel like she was the one that 'discovered' me and my talent so I owe her that much.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Beautiful tiles! I really enjoyed seeing them, thank you for sharing. Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Well girl, you done taught yourself real good. ha I hope you don't forget to take pics of all your future projects and post them here. We can sure appreciate your talent. ~Anj