Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjabee

Come on you guys!!

anjabee
17 years ago

I keep checking in here hoping someone else will have posted. I don't like feeling like the "lone braggart" being the only one posting my stuff. We were doing really good there for a while. Please post if you can!! ~Anj

Comments (12)

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Well i did paint this week,but i mailed it off before i took a picture of it.I remembered after it had already gone out.I did email my friend and asked her to take a picture of it when she receives it for me.

Here's a picture of my paint rack,i had one of those round spinner ones from Michaels,and i had DH cut it apart for me yesterday so i could hang it on the wall.Now i need to get anothe,as i still have a lot more paints in the drawer.
    Kathi

{{gwi:191383}}

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Now that was a good idea. I looked at those so many times but didn't want to use my counter space. Now why didn't I think about hanging it on the wall--just not as smart as you were. LOL I ended up buying a wall hung thing from Canvas Creations--looks nice, but elastic part goes up around the "neck" of the bottle and is so tight that I struggle to pull the bottle of paint out! I actually emailed them that either the "pocket" needs to be shorter or the elastic less tight. DH "promises" that he will help me figure out how to post pictures this weekend, then I can share ideas and projects too. So glad there are people posting here now. It is so fun to share ideas and get some kudos for our efforts, isn't it?

• anjabee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathi~ I love that idea! Just wish I had a room I could use that. I have a wooden box that I hide my paints in right now because I have to use my dining room as my craft room. I see you mark the tops and bottoms of your paint. I also mark the tops of mine since sitting in the box it's easier to read the lids than pick up each one looking for the right color.
    Yours hanging on the wall almost looks like a piece of art. Ya sure got me thinking! ~A

• anjabee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And I really like the little cow sitting on the shelf!

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Before i got that rack i used to (and still do some) keep them in a drawer.It was hard to find the color i needed,even though each bottle had a spot of paint on the tops,and labels on the bottom.But the drawer wasn't deep enough so i had to lay them on their side,so it was always a hunt for the color i needed,so i got that rack.Like the op i didn't want it on my table taking up precious space,so i kept it on the floor,which was also a pain it the butt.Then i came up with that brain storm the other day and i like it much better.

Yesterday we went to a friends house as they are getting rid of a lot of stuff and they asked us to come over and see if there was anything we could use or needed.They had several of those grids,so we brought them home and dh is going to see if there is someway he can hook them together so i can get the rest of my paints out of the drawer and up on the wall.Sure hope so.

Anj,you could do the same thing with the rack that i did,only after you make it,get a piece of pretty fabric and make a cover for it,and turn it into a piece of art.Think making a toaster cover etc,get what i'm saying???
    Kathi

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

Do you buy Americana, Folk Art, DecoArt and mix all of the colors together or do you buy only one kind of paint?

I have different kinds of paint and no extra wall space. I store them upside down in shoe boxes and place the shoeboxes at the top of the bookcase in the craft room.

Which kind of paint do most of you like best? What is your preference for indoor painting projects and/or outdoor painting projects?

Brenda

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I buy mostly ceramcoat,or folk art.I don't buy any Apple barrel,as my teacher told us that one doesn't have enough pigment in it,so doesn't do as good a job as the others.For out doors i've used both the regular acrylics and the patio paints.

I have 3 rusty shovels that i need to paint some sayings on,a friend asked me to do them for her dh,and she threw in an extra one for me to do for myself.I keep putting it off,but i really need to get them done.I have to look up and see what the prep is for them.
    Kathi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Valleyrimgirl and Kathi, I use Delta ceramacoat and Plaid Folkart. I tried the Apple Barrel and they seemed too thin to me, so think Kathi's teacher was probably correct. (I think they are made by Plaid too--go figure!) I really prefer the thickness of the Folkart paints, but think both are good. Walmart usually has them for 87 cents, but lately their selection is limited.

I like to keep my patio paints in a separate box. Storage and easy access is always a problem. I bought a canvas collectibles storage unit that i could hang on the wall--but I don't reccommend it! The pockets are too deep and the elastic at the top of each one is tight, so it is a hassle pulling the paint bottle out of the pocket! Did you see the picture of Kathi's grids--I really like those.

Kathy, those rusty shovels sound neat. I painted one of my old shovels with just the decoart paint and did two coats of spray on sealer and it lasted over three years before it started to chip off. It might have lasted longer if I would have remembered to spray it again once in awhile.

Are you going to use patio paints on yours? I've only started using those this past year or so, but haven't painted anything metal yet?

Luvs

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Hi Luvs,
    I also keep my few patio paints that i have and my stains and textile mediums in those clear plastic shoe boxes.That way they are all together,so all i need to do is pull out a shoe box.

Since i don't have a lot of colors of the patio paints,i'll probably just use the ceramcoats on the shovels.I have other things outside that i painte with those and they held up quite well.Of course i sprayed them with a sealer after painting.I'm trying to use what i have on hand in all my crafts and stay out of the stores.Yeah right!!! LOL
    Have a good weekend.
    Kathi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Staying out of the stores--now that is a hard one. I am sure that like me, you have lots of paints on hand (so many they sometimes dry out!) but will invariably look at the paints while at the store. Yep, special sale price today, so you pick up a few more. Or I will need a small dowel, go to get one and see something else that would be realy great too! Can't ever walk out with just one thing--and it does add up--notice that more now that I am "retired". LOL I really want to start using up allot of the supplies I already have too--tired of having them in storage boxes and drawers everywhere. Funny, that didn't bother me so much when I was younger. Talk with you later. Have a good one. Luvs

• valleyrimgirl
    17 years ago

So when using up your supplies...

I live in Manitoba, Canada. Our summers are short here so I find that I do all the gardening then and by this time of year I am tired of gardening. I want my planters to be cleaned up, flowerbeds revamped/cleaned, vegetable garden cleaned up, etc so that I can concentrate on the house, scrapbooking and crafts.

A few weeks ago our youngest son moved out...now our DD is married and gone for sure...the two DSs are in university so we are empty nesters!!! Now, this winter I have a house to go through from top to bottom and that includes the craft/spare bedroom.

What about all of you out there? What time of the year do you do most of your painting/crafting/scrapbooking, etc?

Brenda

• anjabee
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brenda~ that sounds like a good new topic discussion to start up. I get really enthusiastic right before any holiday and start painting so I'm pretty much a year rounder. But I'm stuck inside more in winter so I'd have to say winter I get more done. ~Anj

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio