Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iamdreaminginsocal

Donna Dewberry?

Iamdreaminginsocal
21 years ago

Has anyone tried these videos you can buy? I tried them and I don't get it! I guess I will take a class.

Cindy

Comments (5)

• ContraryMary_GA
    21 years ago

I have taken several classes from Donna and her videos are better because you can replay them. The latest set that you get three in are the best. The hardest thing is learning how to load the brush and then how not to continue working the paint in after you start the actual painting. That is the biggest mistake people make. You load the brush 3/4 of the way up by working the paint in very hard to the bristles. When you get that done and your ready to paint you pick up a LITTLE of each color you want to use and go to the project. It takes alot of practice. Don't let anyone fool you. And her certification program is the best course to take if you are going to take anything. And from the looks of it she isn't going to be teaching them 2003. Marebell will be teaching, but she is really good. Actually she was able to get me going before Donna was.

• Kathy_in_Delaware
    21 years ago

Dont feel bad,,, I have the tapes and I too Dont get it.
    One thing I have learned tho, if I have difficulty attemping something, I will put it away and go back to it later, I usually end up with better results then. Speaking of which I should go give them tapes another try!

• Vique_Pa
    21 years ago

I have her tapes and I took my first class a few weeks ago. I find I learn better from the tapes because I can replay them until I get it right. I was terribly disappointed in the class, because I can paint better than the teacher. When she showed us her samples of flowers I am sure my mouth dropped open and I hope the look on my face didn't give me away. I had been practicing with Donna's books, work sheets and tapes since last spring, and the only trouble I am having is with the rose. So, I signed up for a classs on roses. I have to tell you when I saw her sample of the rose, I didn't even recognize it for what it was. I had also signed up for her class on painting on glass, but I am not even going to that one. I can't see wasting my money. I hope you get a better teacher than I had, I don't understand how this woman got certified as a teacher. Vique.

• bouncingpig
    21 years ago

I guess these videos are okay for learning the basics, but I really find Donna Dewberrys flowers, especially her roses to tight and contrived looking. They aren't very believable. But perhaps you can learn the basic idea and improve upon them from there.

• SMLyles
    21 years ago

Vique,
    Maybe the teacher teaching hasn't gone through the OSCI course with Donna or Maribel. You can go to the onestroke web site and see if you find her name listed as a teacher, or better yet you can find someone else who you can call and ask for classes and to see their work before you sign up. I took Donna's Cert course last June, and I can tell you first hand I was doing Roses all wrong, until I got to certs, and Maribel put me on the right track. Before I teach roses I paint them at home on anything that does't move for about 3 weeks, so I am sure to have them down pat. Of course with all painting no ones roses are going to look as good as Donna's, but Donna's! : )
    Cindy,
    As far as the videos, that is the way I learned before I when to certs. I couldn't find anyone in my local area giving classes. It really does help to be able to see it over and over but in Slow motion too. If you feel ike you are loading the brush correctly and that isn't the problem, try doing your stokes on wax paper or freezer paper over and over and over again. The more you do the better you will get. I would stop the tape, and do just one part of a stroke until I could get it down pat, start the tape again and move on. If you have any questions feel free to ask or send me email.
    Paint drop hugs
    Sherry