Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathi_mdgd

Here's the cow i promised

kathi_mdgd
17 years ago

Hi guys,

Remember a while back i told you about a cow i made for my friend for her collection! Well here it is.The picture isn't very good,she said her camera is an old one.But you can kinda get an idea.It's one of those whimsicle cows.

Kathi

Comments (8)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Kathi~ that's cute as can be! Now what is it made from? Is it material that you painted? How darling. Wish I had one for my kitchen. ha I think if I bring one more cow in my DH is going to divorce me. ha I can always admire and wish though. Tell your friend thanks for sending it so we could take a look. I bet she smiles every time she looks at it. :) ~Anj

• gw:craftylady-2006
    17 years ago

That is really cute. Great job on the painting. Yes, what is it made out of??

Sal

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just made from muslin that i painted.Saw the pattern in a book,but they wanted 15.00 for it.I looked at that and said no way,it's nothing but a triangle,and i have several books with cows,as i collect them also.So i just winged it.Just wish i had remembered to take a picture myself .
    Thanks for looking
    Kathi

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Cute cow Kathi, glad your friend sent the pic so we could see it. That is good that you can look at a pic and figure out how to do it yourself. I sometimes do that too. Good job! Luvs

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Kathi~ I've never painted on fabric. Did you use acrylic or something else? How did it work on the fabric? Would you say it was about the same or a little harder to work with? I'm just full of questions I know, but that's the only way I know to learn. :) ~Anj

• kathi_mdgd
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Anj,
    No it isn't hard to do,and this is how i do it.I use acrylic paints with a textile medium mixed in the paint.This gives it better coverage and helps it to go on easier.I make the cow or whatever,sew it up stuff it,then paint it.I painted the muslin first,let it dry then painted the facial features and the spots and whatever else needed painting.Let dry and you're done.This also helps keep it cleaner as the paint seals the fabric and dust doesn't get imbedded in it.Then when it does get dusty,you can just use a clean 2 or 3 " paint brus and dust it off.Maybe once or twice a year.

You can also paint fabric flat with acrylic paint,wet it first then dip it into some paint that you've added either textile medium or water to to thin it out,let dry ,and wala,you've made your own fabric.

I have also made something,pinned it to a hanger then taken it outside and spray painted it with the base coat.

You're limited only by your imagination!!!
    Kathi

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Wow! I wouldn't have thought you could do all that. Now I'll have to find a simple enough project that even I can do. Maybe I'll start with something like a muslin pillow. I think I can sew a pillow. ha Haven't sewn anything since high school home economics class. ha Thanks for all the info! ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hey, Anj! You can just BUY a ready made pillow to paint! Ha ha Don't need to face too many challenges all at once. Just teasing you. LOL