Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon620

Not exactly decorative.... need help painting though

sharon620
17 years ago

Hello Everyone

I am currently trying to spruce up my family room with a little paint. My question is... do I paint the doors (like to the cellar) the same color as the trim? The trim is called Cottage White.

Also, my home is country,the top of my coffee table is this cottage white and the bottom is pine. Should I stencil something around this rectangular table to blend it into the decor?

Thank you

Sharon

Comments (3)

• aprilwhirlwind
    17 years ago

usually doors are either painted the same as the trim, or they are stained and contrast with the trim. In my house the trim is all painted, but my doors have a rosewood stain. of course, there's no law that says you can't paint your doors another color if you like. In the 1800's and before that, there was a fashion to even paint the door panels with scenes or flowers.
    re: table, do you mean stencil a pattern on the table top? Sure, that could be charming.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Welcome to the decorative painting forum Sharon. I like country style or maybe I should say country victorian style. I assume your walls are a color, if so, the cottage white would look very nice on you door and trim. As for the coffee table, you could stencil any pattern you like--maybe something that picks up the design in your curtains or a pillow. Have fun with it, and do what makes you feel happy when you walk into the room.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Hi Sharon~ I'm not really sure how to answer your questions. I agree with kennebunker, I think that doors are usually painted the same as the trim. I wasn't sure about where you were wanting to stencil on the table either but I'm sure it would look nice either way. If you get it done, please come back and post a pic for us.

Don't know if you've ever been to the Home Decorating forum here, but they might be able to give you some good ideas too. Good luck! ~Anj

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert