Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calirose_gw

Selling at craft shows

calirose
13 years ago

My friend is participating in a craftshow this weekend and has asked me to put some artwork in. I am printing up note cards on regular cardstock w/envelopes (Avery) of my artwork. I have an eagle w/flag, praying hands with capitol bldg, and an abstract called His almighty power. They will be blank inside.

Does something like this sell at large craftshows? This a 3 day event. I know my artwork may not be the choice, I am just wondering if note cards sell?

Some of my artwork can be seen at

http://rhonda-myers.artistwebsites.com

Thanks

cali

Comments (13)

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Welcome Cali....and your artwork looks very good to me!

I haven't been to a craft show in several years,(changing that this year!) but from past experiences, you just never know what will sell and what won't. However, I might just vary my variery slight more than two themes. With all of the holidays coming up, maybe choices in that direction will sell.

Hope you do very well whatever your choices!

Belle

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Belle!
    Do you think that $3.00 would be a good price. Note cards are approx 4x6. Materials/printing cost me about 1.00

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Cali.....you really have me there.....haven't got a clue. You might check out prices at a retail store, like Hallmark. A $2.00 profit sounds nice, but how much time is involved in your project? Sorry!

Not much help, hope someone else will post a better answer.

Belle

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Belle, thanks so much. I didn't want to post my images because I didn't want anyone to think I was trying to sell them here. $2 profit isn't quite, I am giving 50 cents to my friend for each card that sells since it is her booth. And I didn't include wrappers, etc. Most of the time (labor) was spent in painting the images. I don't really consider being at the booth labor, because I will be with friends.

Here are the cards the I have right now:

From Acrylic and Oils

• citytransplant(zone5)
    13 years ago

Cali,

Your cards are beautiful!

People are funny when buying things and there has been a lot of research in how they do so. Some of the research however, (and I know for a fact) that if something is priced too low, people generally, will pass it up, thinking it has no or little value.. usless of course it is a close out sale, which what you are not doing. Also something that is rounded up is overlooked for some unexplainable reason.

That being said, I would price the cards at at least 3.50.

Also sad to say, unleass your sale is going to be in an upscale area, most people want cards with sayings in them. They cannot think of what to write, are ashamed of their spelling, lack of correct wording ect. Look in card areas of the stores, people spend a very long time reading everything before making a choice. Do you think that you can have verses in a seperate area so the buyer can choose a card, then a verse and you can use a sticky dot to place the verse in their card? I know, this makes it more labor intensive ie more costly, but it could be a great marketing tool. I agree with Belle that a wider variety could also help with sales. But from show to show.. who knows? They are all unpredictable.

Cali, hope my suggestions dont upset you, you are a wonderful artist. Wishing all the best with your show and, please, be sure to let us know how it worked out for you.

Joan

• citytransplant(zone5)
    13 years ago

Cali,

Your cards are beautiful!

People are funny when buying things and there has been a lot of research in how they do so. Some of the research however, (and I know for a fact) that if something is priced too low, people generally, will pass it up, thinking it has no or little value.. usless of course it is a close out sale, which what you are not doing. Also something that is rounded up is overlooked for some unexplainable reason.

That being said, I would price the cards at at least 3.50.

Also sad to say, unleass your sale is going to be in an upscale area, most people want cards with sayings in them. They cannot think of what to write, are ashamed of their spelling, lack of correct wording ect. Look in card areas of the stores, people spend a very long time reading everything before making a choice. Do you think that you can have verses in a seperate area so the buyer can choose a card, then a verse and you can use a sticky dot to place the verse in their card? I know, this makes it more labor intensive ie more costly, but it could be a great marketing tool. I agree with Belle that a wider variety could also help with sales. But from show to show.. who knows? They are all unpredictable.

Cali, hope my suggestions dont upset you, you are a wonderful artist. Wishing all the best with your show and, please, be sure to let us know how it worked out for you.

Joan

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

I agree with Joan. The verses in another area would be a great selling point to me. I HATE thinking of what to write sometimes. l.marie

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANK YOU Belle, Joan and Marie!

I hadn't thought about verses, that is a good idea. That will be easy to do, and won't add much to my costs. The idea of the dots is one I wouldn't have come up with. And I will increase the price to 3.50.

This recession (my DH hit also) has everyone skittish. That is why I thought of cards instead of my actual art.

Thank you for taking the time to comment!!

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Cali, you have some beautiful artwork. I love the eagle and would buy it in a heartbeat if I was at the show. Good Luck, be sure and let us know how your sales go.

Punk

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

THANK YOU Punk! Love that nickname btw. I definitely will let ya'll know however it goes.

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The craft show wasn't much of a success for me. I did sell some cards, and some wire angels, but not much overall. However, I am so glad that I went and supported my good friend. We became friends when she took lessons from me 6 years ago. Anyhoo- she did great. And I was thrilled for her. The 3rd person with us was selling painted gourds and those did not sell either. She left early on the 2nd day due to illness in the family.

What seemed to be selling besides food? Actually not much if one goes by what people were carrying. Vendors near us sold Costume jewelry, T-shirts that were hot pressed with glittery designs while you wait, fall & Christmas yard signs - like a road sign but with pumpkins, or Merry Christmas and the peoples names; and some fall wreaths. The shop opposite had kit airplane,helicopter, auto, firetruck etc, that he purchased from viet nam, put together and highly varnished $65 and up and I noticed them selling. All vendors who had attended previously told us that sales were way off. The couple across had a dual booth of pendants of names shaped in wire while you wait and knitted hat/scarf sets. No hat/scarf sets were sold either of the 1st 2 days that I was there. (I didn't go back on Sunday, my arthritis, and my friend's husband was going to be with her.) The first day was hot, but the 2nd cooled immensely and was windy.

Oh! Bamboo sold like hotcakes! I don't know if you call if heavenly bamboo or good luck bamboo - depending on where you live I suppose. I couldn't believe the number of people carrying those around.

There were 3 buildings, and several set ups outside and in between buildings. I think most of the people were just browsing or looking for ideas they could make themselves. But I had a good time, and felt so happy to be there for my friend.

• heartsandcrafts
    13 years ago

Calirose - I'm so proud of you for giving it a try! Keep your eyes peeled over the next few months to see what subjects people seem to be interested in and then give it another go next year. With a little more time to research your market I'm sure you'll do great!

• calirose
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Hearts!