Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

More ornaments

paintingfool
14 years ago

Here are a few on the wood spools I purchased in Houston. Quick and easy to do except the wire thing. It has to be strong enough to hold the spool and flexible enought to twist around. Had to hold the nose on the snowman for a long time to dry - was afraid to use hot glue. Off to paint gingerbread.

B
{{!gwi}}

Comments (10)

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

So beautiful! These have to be so tiny...but every detail is so great. Fantastic idea! The candy cane on the hat looks yummy. Santa's eyes are great, and the wire on Santa is in a "s" shape. So clever.

Now I know what to do with all of those spools that were given to me....And it looks like the hat on the snowman is a wooden flower pot.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Belle, yes the hat on the snowman is a small wood flower pot. The nose may be a bit big. Sometimes you can find little carrots in the hobby store that would work also. Or just a little round ball painted orange or red would be cute too. The wire was purchased at the Dollar Tree, it comes in several colors and is a good weight. I just twisted it around a large brush handle and then you have to manipulate it a bit so it hangs straight. So glad you liked it. It isn't my design but I did see some in Houston - just too cheap to buy a pattern because I would do the faces the way I like anyway. The bells - from Dollar Tree again. Now I am working on Gingerbread men and snowmen on rolling pins. Only have a few of those to paint.
    Later

• kkscrafthaven
    14 years ago

Just beautiful! I especially love the Santa!

Kay

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

Several years ago I mentioned to my DH that I needed some heavy copper wire, about an hour later he came in with a coil of wire. He had taken apart an old "coil" and I have had copper wire ever since. He also uses the wire from a cellanoid (SP). Over the years I have used up my supply, off he goes to the junk yard and I then have new wire. Different size motor's - different sized wire. And most of it is free!

Belle

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Very cute Bebe. I agree with Belle, they must be small, and yet you did that santa face so perfectly. I'm not crazy about painting small things--for me, bigger things are just faster. ;o) Are these going in your Etsy shop?

Luvs

• lafferty
    14 years ago

They're beautiful!Wish I could do that!Any suggestions on where I can get beginner instructions on tole painting?

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would look for a decorative painting class at one of the craft or fabric stores. You could also look up the Society of Decorative Painter's web site for a teacher in your area. Or let me know where you live and I will check for you. There are a lot of decorative painting clubs around and you might have one near you. I taught myself to paint because I lived overseas and there just wasn't anything around, not even books. But when I came back to the states, I started taking classes and have never stopped. I am including a couple of blogs you might want to check out. I think Luvs gave more info on your other post. Will help you out any way I can.
    B

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushed by an Angel

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

B,
    Your santa and snowman are so cool. I don't have many wooden spools left but I think I will have to try this sometime. I'd rather paint something large and I'm not sure why but I've always had a hard time painting on small objects.

Thanks so much for sharing another great project. Punk

• anjabee
    14 years ago

I like these!! ~A

• kacram
    14 years ago

VERY cute!