Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnydj_gw

Painting pavers?

SunnyDJ
12 years ago

I've never painted a paver or matter of fact, anything, but I saw the cutest paver in a yard and thought, I can do that.....

But, what type of paint do you coat it with 1st? And then what paint do you use for your design?

I know I probably should just do a search but I'm hoping this might be easier.....

Thanks for any and all help.....

Comments (12)

• SunnyDJ
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Belle, thank you for all your help, that was wonderful....Now to get workin on it and not loose my "good intentions"., lol.....
    thanks again.....

• marylee_2010
    12 years ago

When I painted my paver/edger I undercoated with Patio Paint just as Belle suggested. I then used regular Folk Art paint for my design. You just need to coat it with a sealer when you are finished. I used a spray sealer.

Don't forget Belle's advice about using cheap brushes.{{gwi:132621}}

This is the paver I painted and it has been in the yard all summer and looks brand new.

Marylee

• leveta
    12 years ago

I cleaned my pavers and then primed with a good primer and then painted with the Folk Art paints also and sealed good...

• luvstocraft
    12 years ago

Marylee, your M&M guys are so darn cute! Bet they put a smile on everyone's face when they see them! ;o) Luvs

• pezabelle
    12 years ago

Marylee....sorry I missed your post....love your M & M's. I found several other I would like to paint, sometime!

Belle

• khspw
    12 years ago

those are the cutest things I have seen. didn't think of painting them.

• nonacook
    12 years ago

I sprayed my pavers with plain ole spray paint.
    I did soften the edges with with a grinder before painting.
    I used black gesso to paint the snowman faces but the other things were just painted with acrylic paint. They didn't start flaking for 6-7 years. (Some were outside during hurricane Ivan.) The paint does fade some in that length of time too. You can see mine on my website (I think-Cox says it is going to quit supporting websites-it seems to still be there today.)

Http://members.cox.net/nonacook

Use the 'next page' at the bottom right to see all the pages. pavers on at least 2 pages.

• rosyhf
    10 years ago

Oh my, there is a whole stack of pavers in the yard that hubby was saving, guess what? lol.

I would use DecoArt Patio paint, I have used it on pots for the outside and they are as bright as ever for years. If you can't find the paint in the store, you can buy direct from DA,

• sunnyca_gw
    10 years ago

I made an Uncle Sam using Patio paints- I use it inside but my lady bug is outside for 2-3 yrs now & is fine. I used Patio paints & then sprayed with Krylon clear finish. My snowman I spray painted white & just painted on face & added crocheted scarf & hat I made to fit over the keyhole pavers. I think he was in Country Woman craft section of their magazine couple yrs back. Jan

• anjabee
    10 years ago

Looks like you got lots of good advice on this. I hope you'll show us your finished project. Marylee, love your m&m's!! ~Anj

• Aston217
    10 years ago

How do you transfer the design to the paver? I've tried the graphite paper and doesn't work. Any other suggestions?

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County