Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lifenu4me

Painted Old Window and Mail Box

lifenu4me
15 years ago

Hello...being a steady reader of this forum, the many talented individuals on this site are such an inspiration to me. After being given several old windows, I thought I would try to paint one. This led to painting a mail box, also. I will hang the window on the outside of my shed and the mailbox (holds garden hand tools) will be on a post in front of the shed. They both share the same theme. I am learning as I paint, and it has been fun.

Jackie (painting with a smile)

Comments (14)

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

I am always jealous of people who can get their hands on old windows.

Jackie,
    Your projects are wonderful! You can come and paint my mailbox anytime! :-)

• paintgirl2008
    15 years ago

Your window and mailbox are beautiful! And a nice way to use them. Keep posting- everyone on this forum loves it-I do!! For someone who is learning you do a great job!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Those are wonderful! I love them both, you are doing really good, can't believe you are a beginner! ;o)

Your screen name is interesting, is there a story behind it's selection?

Glad you have been enjoying the forum, and so glad you have decided to join in. We love seeing everyone's projects here, so glad you are sharing.

Luvs

• lifenu4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so very much. You don't know how many times I washed the acrylic paint off the window, only to begin again...LOL. You wonderful artist have given so many helpful instructions and suggestions. I have read and listened to each of them.
    Thank you, again, for the compliments and inspiration.

luvstocraft, I chose my screen name after my dear husband passed away. After 32 yrs. of marriage, being a widow made every thing seem to be a new challenge, from purchasing my first car to changing the lawn mower oil. Guess the name implied my desire to survive, endure, and be strong. Nine years have passed and life is good.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Lifenu4me, I'm so sorry for your loss, but I did figure it might be something like that. I'm glad you have stayed strong and made it though those nine years. I have a two sisters and a sister in law who have had to face that same challenge, and they all say it is so hard to move ahead alone and face all the challenges on your own. Two of them have said they never realized all the little things their DH just took care of for them.

I'm so glad you have found this forum, I know you will enjoy chatting and sharing with us.

Luvs

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Jackie, I'm new to this forum, although a regular on the Decorating, Organization and Kitchen forums. I love your painted window! I have one I'm just about to start myself and another I finished a while back. Are you planning on using it in your home or outside someplace? The reason I'm asking is that my first one is propped up above an upper kithen cabinet, but my next one will be hung outside. I was wondering if you've sealed the paint on yours and, if so, with what?
    Lynn

• lifenu4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Welcome Lynn! Your window must look lovely sitting on your kitchen cabinet. Once day, I plan to paint another window to hang inside my home. This one (pictured)I will hang on the outside of my garden shed. I used a water based Polycrylic spray. The ladies on this site suggested "water based" protective finish because it doesn't have the tendency to turn yellow. You spray a couple of layers to seal the paint for outside. Correct me, please, ladies, if I am wrong. I'm sure all of us on this forum look forward to seeing your beautiful windows.

Itching to paint again,
    Jackie

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Many thanks, Jackie! I'll pick some up at HL or Michaels tomorrow when I'm down in town.
    BTW, here's the one in my kitchen. It's inspired by the famouse painted windows in the LaFonda Hotel on the Plaza in Santa Fe.
    I'm anxious to try my hand at painting a reverse painting scene for the front portal window, but am well aware how much planning is needed to pull off something that complicated.
    Lynn
    {{!gwi}}

The LaPlazuela Restaurant at the LaFonda:
    {{!gwi}}

• lifenu4me
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Lynn, the design on your painted window is beautifully done. You have captured the LaFonda theme to accent your lovely kitchen. I applaud your talent. Thank you for sharing, and I look forward to seeing your next painted window.

Jackie

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Lynneinnewmexico, your window looks great on top of your cabinet. I'd love to have a meal at that restaurant too, it really looks so inviting. We are happy to have new posters on here, and will look forward to having you share more of your projects with us. Luvs

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Thank you!

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Hello Lynn, You window is really great, and as a chicken lover you know what I saw first. The "earth" feeling of your home is wonderful.

Did you also do the picture on what I believe is you range hood?

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Jackie

Your window and mail box are so refreshing! Great Job! When I read what you did with the mailbox.... idea popping time! I have a potting bench my DH made and the mailbox would look great as a decorations and be useful at the same time. How fantastic is that!

Sorry for your loss, but what wonderful strenght you have!

Claudia

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Hi!! Jackie and Lynn.... Don't know how I missed this, but your windows and mailbox are just wonderful. Jackie...for learning you are doing great!! Thank you for sharing your projects and your inspiration pic. =) ~Anj

Sponsored
PURPOSED PAINTING LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Virginia Beach's Most Efficient & Reliable Painting Solutions