Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chery2

I searched the gallery and read all CRACKLE postings

chery2
17 years ago

but I'm doing something wrong. I started w/ paint that actually said, "acrylic," let it dry, added a layer of Elmer's glue [white], let that dry, and added a top coat. Nothing. Not even one little hairline crackle.

Maybe it's the strips of wood I'm using to paint on -- they're just what DH calls "shims," lots of grooves but at least they're wood.

Before I try again, how can you tell if paint is acrylic if it doesn't say so on the label? I'm dying to do my bathroom cabinets but don't want to get all set up for nothing to happen.

chery2

Comments (12)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Chery2~ I hope someone can answer your question. I get all my acrylic paints in the craft section and they all say acrylic on them. I've never tried to crackle using Elmers. Sounds like something I'd like to try though.
    Don't forget to post pics here if you get it figured out, ok! ~Anj

• frances_ar
    17 years ago

You need to thin the Elmer's down. Your surface (the shims) may have been too rough as well, but make sure you only paint the top coat on in one direction, and don't go back over it. I actually like using a crackle medium over the Elmer's, because you get smaller cracks using the medium. All the crackle medium is, is really a type of glue but you have a little better control. Almost all craft paint is acrylic and will say something else if it's not. Plaid, Apple Barrell, Folk Art, Delta Ceramcoat, to name a few are all acrylics. There are also gloss and enamil acrylics, but for crackling the regular acrylic is best, then you can seal it with a varnish after 'curing' for a day or so. Try the Elmer's on a piece of poster board, or even the inside of a cereal box and play around with it until you get the look you want. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

I have never crackled a big project, just some craft items. I used titebond liquid hide glue in a brown bottle with red top and it did not have to be thined or anything. The thicker you put it on, the bigger the crackle. Most important step of all is to put top coat of paint on fairly thick, pulling the brush over the glue only one time! If you brush back over it--it will not crackle well. (Good news is that after it all dries, if you missed a spot , you can usually "patch" it by repeating the steps in that area. I suggest you practice several times before you attempt to do you cabinets. Try a wooden picture frame or a wood plaque for example. This will help you learn the best way to brush it on, and whether you prefer large or small "crackle". Good luck on you project, hope it turns out just the way you want it.

• frances_ar
    17 years ago

Luvstocraft, where do you get the titebond glue? Hide glue is the original crackle medium, but I haven't been able to find it here in my small town at our hardware or WalMart. TIA

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Hi Frances ar, My bottle has lasted a long time, but I bought it at Home Depot. I haven't looked for it recently--I'll take a look next time I am there and let you know if they still carry it. It does a really nice crackle, but the price won't compare to those who were able to get the white craft glue at Staples for only 9 cents a bottle!

• frances_ar
    17 years ago

Thanks luvstocraft. I live about 30 miles from the nearest Home Depot but I love any excuse to go into town.:) I'm sure it's not cheap, but I've bought Gorilla glue, and I love it for almost everything, and it's not cheap either, but I don't mind the price when the product is worth it. Do you know if the Titebond can be used outside?

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

The label says it is NOT for exterior use or where moisture is likely. However, that is for bonding things together--as far as using it to crackle an item for outside, I think that would be fine because you would still put an exterior sealer over your project to protect it from the weather.

Frances, does the ar in your user name stand for Arkansas? If so, are you anywhere near Bentonville, Ark.? Have gone to that area a few times in Spring or Fall for the gigantic craft fairs in the area and just love it.

• frances_ar
    17 years ago

Yes, that's what the AR is for. I'm south of Bentonville in the small town of Alma, at US 71 and I-40. (and now we have a spur of I-40 that's I-540 that goes up there). I guess I'm about 60 miles south of Bentonville, over the 'hill' as they say up in that part of the state. LOL
    My aunt and uncle used to do War Eagle (and quite a few other shows as well) but their age and health doesn't permit that anymore. Their son, has 2 antique broom makers that he takes to the Apple Festival, and has a standing invitation to War Eagle. Where are you from?

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Live in Calif. now, but originally from northwest Mo. area. Still have relatives there, so try to plan any trips back around the time of the craft fairs. Used to be more fun before my brother died--he could figure out how to build or cut out anything my SIL and I wanted! I have been to War Eagle, and the Apple place. I had never seen so many tents full of crafters in my life! Wonderful! And the food was to die for! Loved the beauty of the hills and trees too. You live in a beautiful place if it is like that area. Happy crafting!

• sweets98
    17 years ago

LOL..you sound like me! I have tried many times to crackle using all sorts of sure-fire ways to do it. Not once have I gotten a crackle! Although a few times I have ended up with projects with crackle even though I didn't even TRY to do it! Go figure!

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sweets, that must be frustrating. The only other tip I know is to make sure you let the glue dry before you apply the top layer of paint on top of it. Now I am wanting to find a project to work on that I can "crackle", haven't done it for quite some time.

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Sweets! Did you know we've been looking for you? Will you please post pics of some of your painted screens?? And anything else you might have?? ~Anj

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!