Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Paint color mixing question

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 22:11

This actually isn't about decorative painting, but colors are colors no matter how they're used.

My son picked up a five-gallon pail of wood stain at Home Depot's "oops" table, with the intention of painting our shed. The stain is purple. I don't want a purple outbuilding. My original thought was to add some orange tint to the purple, in hopes of creating a shade of brown. But then my DS painted the most visible parts of the building Wedgewood blue. I normally favor earth tones, especially for exteriors, but the blue looks rather nice. It has a greyish cast to it.

He'd like to use the purple on long back side (it was a bargain, after all), and I'm wondering if I can add something to it to grey it down and make it at least somewhat compatible with the blue. What do you think? Am I dreaming?

Thanks!

Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Paint color mixing question

The right mix of colors may give you a dark brown stain but it would be hard to lighten what I am assuming is a deep dark purple back to a gray. You could try mixing up smaller batches and seeing what you come up with to see if it's even possible. If not, it was cheap so you're not out a lot of money. You could always wait until another stain goes on the rack or just buy the color you want. It's better to do it the color you want than to stain it and hate it. It's harder to cover up stain that you hate than paint. :)

o
RE: Paint color mixing question

Sorry Susan, I have no idea. Maybe try playing with small amounts to see if you can come up with a color you like. Good luck. :) ~Anj

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here