Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Painting chandelier bulbs..

paintingfool
13 years ago

I have been painting on light bulbs for more than ten years now, and on occasion I paint on my burned out chandelier bulbs. This one I gave to my neighbor because it had a little flaw, no one else would notice it but I did so I won't sell it. She also asked for a Mrs. Claus (Boob) ornament so I painted her one. It has been tough finding ornaments to paint on, I love the flat round clear ornaments but haven't seen them this year yet. So I painted on a square one I found at Hobby Lobby. And I think I will have to break down and buy enamel paints because it is too hard painting with acrylic on glass.

Today I painted Santa faces on wood hearts. The wood came from an old house, probably flooring, and it was grainy. It must be oak with so much graining in it. Any way, I completed six ornaments today. But I have hundreds to go.

Talk to yall later.

B

Comments (12)

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Oh Bebe, your santa bulb is so neat with the added pink ribbon and hanger. He looks like he is so sweet and innocent. If he wasn't already given away, I think I would want him to come home with me.LOL I always put up a pink tree at the office and he would be the center of attention.

The Mrs Claus boob ornament is cute as ever and looks great on the square ornament. I know you've told us before but what did you use for the boobs? Makes me laugh every time I see one. Bet your neighbor is smiling tonight after receiving these two ornaments.

You mentioned going to enamel paints. Would you still shade like you do on these ornaments? Please share more if you do. I also hope you will share your Santa faces on the wood hearts. Sounds interesting and if anyone can do it, you would be the One.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I don't know how you do such wonderful painting on such small items. Your santa's eyes and cheeks are done so well, and I always love the way your beards turn out. Sure wish I lived close to you so I could take some lessons from you! Those "boob" ornaments are so fun and unexpected. I got the one from you last year for my DIL, and she just thought it was so fun! Glad you're getting in some painting time and hopefully having fun doing it. ;o) Luvs

• kraftymom
    13 years ago

Your chandelier bulb is exquisite! I don't usually care for pink but the colors give it a very Victorian look.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all - Punk, I used these little glass balls I found in the floral department at Walmart. You get a whole bag full and you have to look through them until you find two that are about the same size - you know how it is, not all boobs are alike!! I used E6000 to glue it to the glass.

Luvs, Oh how I wish we all lived closer to each other. I only have painting friends in our chapter, my children and my sisters never had an interest in doing any of this. And let me tell you how I do the cheeks. I float burnt sienna above the mustache but on the bottom half of the cheek and the underneath part of the nose. Then I float bright red over the burnt sienna. I float a tiny tiny touch of red + white to make a very pale pink and I float it across the top of the cheek and the nose. I may do this several times before I get the look I like. I also float burnt sienna under the eye brows and down the side of the nose. And I use that Triple Thick and it gives the ornament a softer look. And it helps seal the glass so the paint doesn't scratch off. Thanks for the sweet comment, Kraftymom, I'm partial to pink but I love all colors. If I can remember to take pictures I will break down my Santa face and show yall what I do.

Went to the dentist this morning to have teeth clean (I go to our local college where it is much cheaper for the dental students to do $20 for x-rays and cleaning). It just takes so long because every thing is checked by a registered dental hygienist. Two hours of paperwork and checking the teeth and then there were only two teeth that needed to be cleaned - I am a good brusher and flosser and I only use the Crest Spinner brush to make sure every surface is covered!! The young lady told me I have a very small mouth - that was a first, my sisters always said - Girk, you have big lips and a big mouth!! Anyway, they brushed this flouride stuff on my teeth and it feels awful - like I really need to brush. Just one more hour and I will be brushing like crazy.

Guess I will paint for now.
    B

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Thanks Bebe for telling me what you bought for the boobs and the glue you use.

Sounds like you get a great deal going to the college to have your teeth cleaned. DD has flouride put on her teeth at the dentist too. I use prescription prevident on my teeth after my regular brushing at night and in the morning.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

Thanks for explaining how you get the cheeks looking so soft, Bebe. The layering of the colors sure makes them nice, I'll try doing it on my next project.

Hmm, wonder if we have a Dental college nearby. That's a great idea for routine cleaning. I've never heard of them only cleaning a couple teeth, at my dentist they clean all your teeth each time. Haven't heard of the Crest Spinner brush either, will have to check on that. I floss each morning, but not at night. Dentist says flossing is really important, do you floss at night too? Funny that you brought this up, I have to call today, had the back of a tooth chip off so need to go get it fixed.

Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Punk, I hope you get to make a few of those ornaments, they are fun but I would recommend enamel paints, much easier than acrylic. Oh, and the dress is pretty much an extended triangle on top then invert and do another on the bottom. The fur is just stippled in with an old brush.

Luvs, I should have clarified that the dental tech checked all the teeth but no plaque was found so she only had the two teeth to contend with. And with flossing I use the little flossing picks found at the store, I can stick some in my purse so even if I can't brush I can still pull out the pics. I have had my teeth cleaned by these students for at least the last seven years. It takes longer because of the paperwork but the $20 covered even the xrays. Our Junior College just became a four year state college and Dental Hygienist is one of the two year programs. Some people come all the way from Mobile, Alabama to attend. If your college has a dental program, you should be able to have your teeth cleaned there - after all, with most programs they need volunteers for the students to work on.

Take care yall.
    B

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Bebe....another fantastic Santa and your glass boobs sure stand out!

Thanks for explaining the layers of shading. You make it sound so easy.

When I use oak, which I don't like to use, I mix up some Fix-It and using a plastic putty knife, wipe a thin layer over the piece and then lightly sand and seal. As long as the wood is solid, the filler is there for life.

Belle

• blitzyblond_protege
    13 years ago

how soft and delicate your Santa looks. That really would fit in on a Victorian tree, or a Frilly tree. TFS

l.marie

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

B, I have some of these little glass balls so if I can find this post when I get ready to paint I may try one. Thanks for the advise of using enamel paint and how you paint them. I may be back for more help.

Punk

• tollpeggy
    13 years ago

Your Santa is beautiful and your Mrs. Claus dress too cute & clever for words. Did you know you can use Americana candle medium or now I think it's called adhesive medium with your regular acrylics to paint on ceramics or glass. Brenda Stewart uses this method for painting her beautiful ceramic designs.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info, TP, I have candle medium and will use it on the next glass ornie. And thanks to all of you for the nice comments.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company