Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

what is your speckling technique?

luvstocraft
17 years ago

Anjabee, Your speckling on the jars looks so good. What method do you use? I think the hardest part is getting the paint the right consistency, don't you?

Comments (14)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Hey luvs....I thought I had been deserted. ha
    I just use a tooth brush to speckle with. You are right, getting the right consistancy to the paint is key. I have to hold myself back too because it's so fun I tend to want to keep doing it more than it needs. ha Speckle crazy. :)
    How do you do yours?? Or do you??

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Afraid I don't do it very well, that is why I was asking your technique. I have tried the "tap the handle of the paintbrush method" and even bought one of those "tools" for speckling. Actually had used a toothbrush but tried other ways to avoid paint under my thumbnail! LOL (Not much for wearing gloves, but will have to do that next time--I really like the way the speckling looks on your jars!)

• anjabee
    17 years ago

I guess I don't worry about the paint under the nails. I end up wearing more paint than the project usually. ha I just flick away. The acrylics usually wash right off with soap and water, but maybe you have longer nicer nails than I do. I don't know how it would do wearing gloves. I don't know if you could get that good of a flick with a slick glove?? Let me know how it works.

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

I also just use a toothbrush and my fingers.Don't woory about the paint under the nails,as most days i have dirt under them anyway as i'm also a gardener.More so that these days than a painter.But when the weather changes i'll revert back to painting.Gotta keep those hands busy,otherwise i would probably eat my way through the day.LOL
    Kathi

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm with you Kathi--get bored if not working on a project or out in the yard, then wander over to the fridge! Painting and gardening are "good for our health". LOL I'm going to use that the next time I buy a painting book or magazine--how can DH disagree with that? Ha ha

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Me too! I am a beginner gardener, well flower gardener. My DH and I do a veggie garden every year. I also cross-stitch to keep busy and shop! DH doesn't like that one so much. ha ~A

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Anj,
    I'm also an avid cross stitcher!!Rarely does a night go by that i don't have a needle in my hand.
    I'm going to go to your "my page" and send you the link to my album at photobucket,so you can see my flowers,crafts,and cross stitching.
    Cross stitching is my night time hobby,can't stand to just sit and watch tv.

If anyone else wants to see my album,let me know and i'll send you the link.
    Kathi

• anjabee
    17 years ago

Ok Kathi~ Now I just have to figure out how to get back to my page again. ha I've been a member for a long time, but only recently started posting. I know! I will even read and watch tv at the same time because it seems like I'm wasting time just staring at the tube. Can't wait to see your stuff. ~A

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kathi, now you know I want to see your album too. I love seeing all the creative things people do. I don't do much cross stitch anymore--eyes not as good as they once were, but I love seeing what others cross stitch. No wonder we read or stitch while watching tv--so many commercials in a row, usually six or seven at a time. So glad I can now record programs so I can fast forward through some of the ads!

• kathi_mdgd
    17 years ago

Well i guess i can post it here,since i saw someone else do it.Besides i couldn't find "my page" at Anj's site.I'm warning you though,cause i have about 22,or 23 pages.So better get a cuppa something and sit down for awhile.
    Kathi

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v699/Kathimdgd/

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Kathi, I took a quick peek, but I just have to get some yard work done--been letting it go because of the heat! This will give me something to look forward to when I finish my work and can sit here with a cold drink and enjoy it. Thanks.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow! What a treat that was! I really needed to just sit and relax a spell after spending my day catching up on yard work! You are a very talented lady. Your painted items look really nice. The quilts are beautiful and such a variety. The cross stitch looks very cute too. I especially liked the Love Blooms one. Beautiful saying and stitching. Your pics of flowers are beautiful--and you have a big variety of those too. Those are two handsome little guys you have too--love those sweet smiles. That was fun to browse through all your treasured items. Thanks so much for sharing them with us.

• nonacook
    17 years ago

To send an email through this forum, you can go to 'my page' and sometime the email link will be there, and sometime you have to click on 'journal' and it will be there. I think it must depend on when you registered here. Mine is on the first, I have been on Garden web since 1999.Altho my page says 2001. Something happened, and all the dates were lost, and put back at 2001.
    But I am glad you didn't find it.... Now I get to see your album too. Grin

• payd6
    17 years ago

I too, use a toothbrush to speckle. nice pics kathi.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!