Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calirose_gw

painting mailboxes- Have you?

calirose
20 years ago

Someone wants me to paint their mailbox. Has anyone had good success with the paint lasting? If so, please describe for me the process, paint type and if you used a sealant. TIA-cali

Comments (10)

• Pokeydecatur
    20 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    I painted this mailbox a few weeks ago so it hasn't been out in the weather for very long. After I cleaned it up I sprayed it with Krylon primer and then painted it with Patio Paints by DecoArt from the craft dept. at Wal-Mart. They are paints for cement and for outside. The instructions said I could seal them or not....I didn't.

Barbara

• frances_ar
    20 years ago

I've painted alot of mailboxes, and I primed them first, then just used acrylic paints, them seal it with Krylons crystal clear acrylic glaze. Mine has been out in the storms, and the hot sun of west Arkansas since March and holding up wonderful. Good luck.

• User
    20 years ago

I bought a standard mailbox at Home Depot, used craft paint and sprayed over the design with a light coat of gloss polyurethane. It has lasted 3 years in the bitter cold of NY winters and blazing heat of our summers with a minimal of what looks like paint shrinkage between the black outlines.

I did a similar mailbox for my mother but she lives at the beach and the salt air took a lot of the paint off after one season. I redid hers with craft paint for metal and did several heavy coats of polyurethane. That was over a year ago and so far, so good.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• calirose
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the advice dian57. The person I was going to paint for still hasn't decided on the design. So your advice is much appreciated!

• babanna
    19 years ago

I have to paint my mailbox too. My son says with a rooster on it! Now I have to figure that out!

• calirose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

cool! a rooster would look cute!

• babanna
    19 years ago

my mailbox is stripped....hopefully good weather and time permitting we will paint it this weekend.
    :)

• lulie___wayne
    19 years ago

Barbara, your box is pretty. I need to do something with ours.
    Lu

• Wings2W
    19 years ago

I have one to paint too. I've read prime, paint, seal and then use a good car wax every six months. Our summers are horrid and it will be a good test. Will probably take me that long too. I like the "thank you" for the delivery person inside the door too. This could easily be changed to reflect the season.

Wing