Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Screen painting

Posted by cathy8091 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 28, 11 at 11:11

I saw some beautiful paintings on screens on the week-end. Does anyone know of a web site for beginners on painting on screens? How you prepare the screen, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Screen painting

Cathy,

I have only painted on Solar Screen which is woven with two strands instead of one single wire. It gives a flatter surface, but as you can see in the photo, it still has holes.

I did not prep the screen in any way and it is so easy to use! In my project there was no need for a back ground, so it went even faster, but no more than two or three coats was ever used and the shading and high lighting was a breeze.

I don't know if you need to prep metal screening, you might try YouTube for more information or maybe someone else here can help.

You do need to have a folded paper towel under the screen as you paint and check it often it see if the paint is being pushed through, if so change to a clean area of towel.

I used a spray sealer when done, and was totally happy with the results. Hope this help or you find what you need!

Belle

Photobucket

o

Thanks for the info, where do you buy the solar screen. I'v never seen it anywhere.

o

Cathy,

I purchased mine from Lowes online site as no other chain store carries it that I could find. Just checked and it is listed as Item # 45067 and Part# 72222 on Lowes online site.

Any Solar Screen would work, but I chose charcoal was I didn't want a totally black background and it seems to be made of a plastic or some other material, not metal wire. Very flat and tight weave.

I purchased a huge roll, 40" X 84' long as I am thinking about doing a free standing, painted screen for my DD home.

I hope this helps!

Claudia
PS Loved painting on screen and am doing another painting right now.

o

I also painted screening for a screen door bought the screen at my local hardware store and painted a Autumn scene on it. I placed newspaper under the screen while I was painting on the screen

o

Hello folks: Are you doing free hand drawing or how do you apply a stencil and do you paint by hand and with what type of paint? Does anyone have the website for any turorilals? thank you, nice idea and would love to try it for something new.

o

This was popular in Baltimore. The Visionary Arts Museum actually has screened doors and windows what were painted. Some are very sophisticated.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here