Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toning down a metallic paint

Posted by surly_girly (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 07 at 9:41

I have a black hutch in my breakfast room with recessed lighting and a mirror on the back. In an effort to warm up the look, and have a warmer glow cast by the lights at night, I used metallic gold paint to paint all the wood in the interior of the hutch. Now I'm thinking I like it ...not-so-much!

Any suggestions on how to tone down the paint while retaining the warmer look? I've considered rubbing over it with a darker glaze, or "tea stain" effect. Any recommendations on products or techniques would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toning down a metallic paint

I use Folk Art "Antiquing Polish" on some of my painting projects to tone down colors and yes, give it an antique finish. I got it at Michael's Craft Store. You might want to paint a piece of wood the gold color you painted your hutch then try whatever you do get on it first before using it on your hutch. You could also just repaint the hutch.

o
RE: Toning down a metallic paint

Thank you! I will try this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here