Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Painting on old junk

Posted by antique88blue (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 13, 10 at 8:16

I just love going to craft shows and finding where people painted simple things such as pumpkins, snowmen etc on old junk.....suitcases, watering cans, old tins. I would love any advise on how to do this and where to find simple patterns or do they just go from memory?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Painting on old junk

There are lots of books out there to help you. But you can also look in children's coloring books, greeting cards, magazines, etc. If you see something you like you can simply trace it on tracing paper (found at the art stores) and then transfer it to your surface with graphite paper (comes in grey and white, found also at the art store). Purchase acrylic paint when on sale at the craft and art store, get a couple of good but inexpensive brushes and you are ready to go. The ladies on this forum are always very helpful so when you have a question, just ask. There are a lot of resources out there that you can learn from.

Oh, you can also use your own photos for patterns. You are going to love this forum!!
B

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushed By An Angel

o

Welcome antique88blue! B is correct on all counts and if you need free patterns for ideas there are plenty for printing on line complete with instructions and how to's.
You can find lots of free project patterns at...

www.artistsclub.com

http://www.decoart.com/

http://www.loew-cornell.com/decorative-painting-pages-53.php

http://deltacreative.com/pid/1/uid/0/oid/0/sid/0/pcid/49/Projects.aspx

just to name a few.

For surfaces to paint I buy all of mine at local thrift shops. Sometimes I even find paint.

o

Welcome and sounds like PF and KM have put you on the right track. Sometimes you can take tole painting classes nearby and that may help you get started too. Hope you will share your projects with us. If you click on the gallery you will be able to see more painted projects there on this forum.

Punk

o

Welcome to our great group! The nicest part is that we all do our own things and still love all of art.

Everyone has given you great advice, so here is mine, hope it is as good.

Depending on the size of the city where you live, thrift store are a great source for not only surfaces but books and patterns as well. I even found a Kolinski brush that I bought for a buck,a little cleaning and I now have a brush that would have cost me in excess of $50.00

One very good place to go dreaming is in any crafter's mall or shops. Not only can you find samples of finished projects, you can also get in touch with other artists in your area. Most are more than willing to share with you.

I hope you come back often and don't be afraid to ask questions.....we all have questions!!!!!

Belle

o
RE: Painting on old junk-plus

I forgot to add....be sure to check out our "gallery" there are many photo's of all kinds of projects submitted by members here and those who just drop by.

Belle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here