Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
antique88blue

Painting on old junk

antique88blue
13 years ago

I just love going to craft shows and finding where people painted simple things such as pumpkins, snowmen etc on old junk.....suitcases, watering cans, old tins. I would love any advise on how to do this and where to find simple patterns or do they just go from memory?

Comments (5)

• paintingfool
    13 years ago

There are lots of books out there to help you. But you can also look in children's coloring books, greeting cards, magazines, etc. If you see something you like you can simply trace it on tracing paper (found at the art stores) and then transfer it to your surface with graphite paper (comes in grey and white, found also at the art store). Purchase acrylic paint when on sale at the craft and art store, get a couple of good but inexpensive brushes and you are ready to go. The ladies on this forum are always very helpful so when you have a question, just ask. There are a lot of resources out there that you can learn from.

Oh, you can also use your own photos for patterns. You are going to love this forum!!
    B

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushed By An Angel

• kraftymom
    13 years ago

Welcome antique88blue! B is correct on all counts and if you need free patterns for ideas there are plenty for printing on line complete with instructions and how to's.
    You can find lots of free project patterns at...

www.artistsclub.com

http://www.decoart.com/

http://www.loew-cornell.com/decorative-painting-pages-53.php

http://deltacreative.com/pid/1/uid/0/oid/0/sid/0/pcid/49/Projects.aspx

just to name a few.

For surfaces to paint I buy all of mine at local thrift shops. Sometimes I even find paint.

• phonegirl
    13 years ago

Welcome and sounds like PF and KM have put you on the right track. Sometimes you can take tole painting classes nearby and that may help you get started too. Hope you will share your projects with us. If you click on the gallery you will be able to see more painted projects there on this forum.

Punk

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

Welcome to our great group! The nicest part is that we all do our own things and still love all of art.

Everyone has given you great advice, so here is mine, hope it is as good.

Depending on the size of the city where you live, thrift store are a great source for not only surfaces but books and patterns as well. I even found a Kolinski brush that I bought for a buck,a little cleaning and I now have a brush that would have cost me in excess of $50.00

One very good place to go dreaming is in any crafter's mall or shops. Not only can you find samples of finished projects, you can also get in touch with other artists in your area. Most are more than willing to share with you.

I hope you come back often and don't be afraid to ask questions.....we all have questions!!!!!

Belle

• pezabelle
    13 years ago

I forgot to add....be sure to check out our "gallery" there are many photo's of all kinds of projects submitted by members here and those who just drop by.

Belle