Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjarz

Food Safe Sealer?

sjarz
15 years ago

Does anyone know of a Food Safe Sealer, preferably a spray but brush on would be ok too, just not anything that has to be fired as I have no access to a kiln...

I am wanting to make the "plate with no owner" and would like to write the words on the plate rather than attach a card with the saying on it.

Thanks

Suzan J

Comments (5)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Oh gosh, Sjarz, I really have never done anything like that so can't advise you. Are you decorating a wooden plate or a ceramic one? If ceramic, I'd contact one of those "paint your own items" places and see what they advise. For wood, I think most people use a clear glass plate on top of the painted wooden one. Maybe Painting Fool or Kraftymom will have some recomendations for you. Luvs

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Unfortunately without firing there is no food safe sealer for decorative painting. Even though acrylics are non-toxic, it is recommended that they do not come in contact with food. But that doesn't mean it can't be done.
    Here are a few options...

1) If painting a wood or ceramic plate, you can keep the design to the very outer edges or use them as a charger plate for under a glass one as Luvs mentioned.

2) If painting a clear glass plate, you can REVERSE paint the design on the BACK side of the plate so food can be served on it.

For either the glass or ceramic plate I would recommend using FolkArt Enamels. The pieces can then be 'fired' in your oven to make the paint permanent and washable.

• sjarz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the replies, gals. I hadn't thought about only painting the saying around the edge of the plate - doing that would likely eliminate much contact with food.
    So, Krafty, if I use those Folk Art Enamels and 'fire' them in my own oven, would you think they would then be food safe?
    I love the idea of the glass plate over the wood, but not sure whether I could find what I need there.
    Good thoughts from both of you and thanks again.
    Suzan J

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Firing the FolkArt Enamels does not make them food safe.

• sjarz
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just wanted to say thanks again to both of you for your thoughts on this budding project - had a look around at some clear plates and some glass ones and I think now I can make this with the words painted on the back of the clear one and the glass ones as a base underneath...hopefully it will work out in real life like it is working out in my head...
    Thanks again, Krafty and Luvs...
    Suzan J

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living