Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Painting on glass (pics)

alisande
16 years ago

Well, I discovered what you probably already know: Glass is very difficult to photograph! I played with the color on the martini glass quite a bit, but it's still way off. The paint is called Mauve, and it's not the rather bright purple I see on my screen. Also, the dots aren't blue  they're white.

As for the plate, some of the petals look the way they actually do. :-) But the center doesn't at all. It's stippled, a mixture of black, brown, and touches of gold. Not nearly as solid (with gaps) as it looks in this picture.

The glass was the first thing I did. Trust me, it looks better in real life! But even so, it's not quite what I had in mind. I also did one in navy blue and one in burgundy. None are as decorated as I would like, nor as symmetrical. But they're interesting. :-)

The plate was a dollar store purchase. Nice looking glass, made in the USA. Figuring out what to paint on it was a no-brainer. And in case you can't tell from the photo, the paint is on the bottom (back) of the plate.

Thanks for letting me share!

Susan

Comments (4)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Oh, I love the sunflower plate--that's one of my favorite flowers. I've never used the glass paints, but I heard that they are harder to use than regular acrylics. I've even seen special brushes for the glass painting. Did you find it harder?

Yes, it is hard to get true colors sometimes when we take pics of things. Both of these look really nice though. TFS

Luvs

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs, it's a case of Ignorance is Bliss. I haven't had a paintbrush in my hand in a very long time, so I really had little to compare it to.

I did read three books on the subject first, and that gave me somewhat of an idea what to expect. My favorite, however (Painting Glass, by Moira Neal and Lynda Howarth), used mostly Pebeo's Porcelaine 150, which was not available to me locally. I found it online, but it was expensive, and so I went with what I could get at Michael's and AC Moore.

The acid test will come when I attempt to paint an actual picture of something onto glass, rather than a design. I suspect that will be a lot harder. But this undertaking has inspired a lot of ideas for Christmas gifts, so I'll keep trying.

Thanks for your comments!

Susan

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Susan~ I love that plate! It looks awesome. I've never used the glass paints, but I can see how beautifully they would catch the light. Great price at the $1 store too and now you have a wonderful piece.

Even if the color is off on the glass picture, I think it looks very pretty. Did you tape it off to make the pattern? All you need to add is a beaded ring to the bottom in a co-ordinating color. I've just started learning how to make jewelry so I've got it on the brain. ha

I have a window that I want to try to do a stained glass look on, but I've been too chicken to try it. My SIL bought an inexpensive picture frame and painted a cute little sign for me on the glass part with glass paint. She just taped the pattern she wanted to use on the back and filled in the blanks. It came out really cute. She left out the paper and the backing so it looks like a pretty framed suncatcher. I guess that would be an inexpensive way to practice.

Well, keep it up and please share any other projects you do. Your first ones turned out terrific! ~Anj

• alisande
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, Anj. Yes, I taped off the martini glass. The original instructions used a wine glass and rubber bands, but I found the rubber bands didn't stay in place on the martini glasses.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012