Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

'Princess' theme ceiling opinions?

sharon_fl
15 years ago

I posted this on the Home Decorating forum as well, but hoping all of you painting 'gurus' might be able to throw some ideas my way!

Well, the time is nearing for my trip to PA to do my 6 yr old DGD's Princess room redo. I will be there for 3 weeks-leaving 8/22.

I have refurbished 7 pieces of furniture which is going to cost me a small fortune in gas, to haul up there, but gotta do it.

I've had a master plan in place since last Oct. but didn't include the ceiling. The walls will be done in a blend of cream, tan & pinkish colors to look like rock..(similar to a pink quartz or something like that). I am only doing the 'rocks' in random areas on the wall & in the corners, plus around (4) arched windows that will showcase Cinderella scenes. I bought a Jan Dressler stencil to do the mortar divisions for the stones.

I have a small chandelier that will swag to the center of the room, so would have a hard time incorporating sky/clouds & have the light make sense, relative to the walls.

Last year when I did my DGS's Hawaiian theme..I did the ceiling w/sky & clouds (OH MY ACHING NECK!) and used real bambo poles as panes on the ceiling-denoting a skylight effect, so to speak.

But, I'm in a query as to how to handle this project. Any ideas?

Sorry this was so long but it'll help set the scene of the problem.

Comments (6)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

Hi Sharon,

First, please take a look at my ceilings thread in the Decorating Gallery. I'll give you a link to it below.

Second, don't ruin your neck. Paint your ceiling on canvas, then "starch/glue" it to the ceiling. That's what I understand the "biggies" do. Seems to me you could do it on lightweight paper and decoupage it up?

Another option would be to simply do the whole ceiling in fabric, gathered in to the center/chandelier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceilings thread - lotsa cool pictures

• anjabee
    15 years ago

It's hard to know exactly what to recommend since we don't know your full plans. Are you supposed to be in a castle looking out or just depicting princess themes and scenes? Before I looked at Oceanna's gallery of pics, I was thinking along the lines of #8. If you are wanting to paint it then I think it would look good to have it look like a break away ceiling so that the chandelier is hanging from the ceiling part, but the sky would be peaking thru the broken out places. I hope you'll take pics of it all when you are done to share with us! ~Anj

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you two for taking time to help me. I will definitely ask someone to post pics from PA once I have the room all done, furniture in and accessorized.
    I really don't want to do the entire room in castle stone..just here & there to give the illusion. Just fear doing all stone in this small room would be overpowering. That's why I want the base color (the stones color) to be pleasing to the eye and yet a hint of pink in it to go w/the room.
    Leaning towards a plain soft shell pink or pink tinged cream color and stencil a pretty rambling medallion (in 14k gold paint),for the chandy to be placed in the center. I've painted the furniture in a real pretty cream which I edged in a soft pink and washed a soft lavender on the filigree wooden appliques for the hutch, vanity, nightstands and the ornate handles on the dresser. Then accented the edges w/the 14k gold paint pen.
    I know me...if I do the sky, I'll want to take the blocks up to 1' from the ceiling and paint sky on the ceiling and the top 1' of the walls, Then add the tiny 'topper' stones all along the top edge of the 'castle'. Not sure I want that look or to commit to all of that extra detail work.

• anjabee
    15 years ago

I don't blame you Sharon...that is a lot of work and a lot you've already done! You go girl! ha I think the medallion would look suitable for a princess. You know instead of painting it you can buy the ready made medallions at your home improvement stores and just paint them. They come in all different sizes and I don't think they are too expensive. I have one around the base of my ceiling fan in my office. Might save you a strained neck! ~Anj

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anj...already checked them out at Lowe's & HD...however I have a swag chandy-there's no ceiling fixture in the room. I just think the stores'medallion would look quirky, seeing how there's only going to be a brass 'hook' screwed into the center hole-not a round light plate to take up the opening.

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Oh, I see, I missed the part about it being a swag. ~Anj

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!