Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calpat_gw

Need A Name For This Craft!

calpat
16 years ago

I've been cleaning out,seems like about 100 years of crapola and came across a card I had made many years ago. It's made with crayons...a wood burning tool was also used, crayons were melted to some degree on a hot plate. I can't remember how it was applied to the paper, but the one & only card I have left looks almost like a water color. I remember the lady who taught me said it was a really old craft and not many people today even know about it. I'm hoping one of you will remember/know about it.TIA Pat

Comments (6)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

You've got me stumped. Crayons and a wood burning tool--sounds interesting. Sorry I can't help. Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Hi~ I believe it may be Encaustic Painting? Try doing a search on it and see if that's what you are looking for. :) ~Anj

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks a lot Ang...I did a google and came up with all kinds of possibilities.

• oddie
    16 years ago

Sounds like a craft I would like to try, would you mind posting and share what info you have found, I did the search but dont understand, seen some cool photos thoe
    Thanks Oddie

• calpat
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oddie, I'm so sorry but I haven't a clue as to what to tell you. In reading about Encaustic painting, I found that it resembles a little bit of what I did, but what I did was not that sophisticated. The next time I go to Joanne's or Michaels, I'm going to see if any of their craft instructors know what I'm referring to. When you are out and tootling around your area, if you think of it, you might also ask. Good luck and happy crafting....Pat

• oddie
    16 years ago

calpat, was hopeing if you visted some of these sites it would maybe come back to you, on a video clip I saw where they used some kind of of a heat gun to move the wax around after applying and also a tool like a wood burner to draw with (I think) useing crayons was probley the cheap way of doing it, sounds like it could be fun, I will ask and see if I can get info, if you figure it out please post and let me know. I think it was on CD where they took crayons and rubed on a hot iron useing differnt colors at the same time then wiped it on paper for a desine. maybe thats how you start, oh I remenber they covered the iron with foil frist, so as not to ruin your good iron!
    Oddie

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz