Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

my painted spoons

paintingfool
16 years ago

Here are my spoon ornaments I painted recently. I know it is July but I am in the mood already to start a few Christmas projects. These will be given away as a thank you to the hospital that lets us use their conference room for our painting meetings/classes. I have to paint a couple of dozen and then I will switch to something different. Anyone with ideas? Enjoy. {{!gwi}}

Comments (28)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Hey PF!! Glad to see your are back and painting. It's ok to show us Christmas stuff. Might help us cool off some! Gosh it's hot, itn't it?? I bet FL is steaming about now.

Love your spoons. They are so cute. You did a great job on that Santa face. And I always love your snowmen. Did you sand the design part on the handle to make it show better? I just put forks on my list of items to look for at the TS to paint Santas on. You curl the tines to make the beard part. The ones I saw were straight with a hole drilled in the handle, but I think I may bend the handle part back to make a hanger for the tree. Although that may make it hang sideways. I'll have to experiment I guess. :)

I'm thinking of starting on my fall stuff or I'm not going to get it done so I think we'll start seeing the holidays coming up here faster than we think. ha

Glad you are back. We've missed you!! Stop in more, won'tcha when you aren't painting. :) ~Anj

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anj, I love the color desert torquoise so I painted the spoon that color and then lightly rouged over the raised design with my finger and gold acrylic paint. I should have drilled the hole first but forgot. I have several that are bent and I painted on the back side of the spoon but I wanted to do something different this time. And it difficult to hang the bent ones but I use an ornament hook (a short one) and hang it that way or I bend the needle of the trees so it faces forward. I also have a spoon that I wrapped wire and a few beads around the handle. It is really cute. I am going to teach this at the next chapter meeting for our ornament day. I will also teach the lightbulb Santa. I love painting on forks but curling the tines is not easy. I will paint Santas and snowmen on almost anything. I am working on wooden salad bowls right now, Santas and snowmen, and it will be a cute candy dish afterwards.

I read the posts almost everyday but haven't really had much to share. I am going to a painting convention in Ohio next month. It is the "HOOT" or Heart of Ohio Tole show. I am taking several watercolor classes - not exactly my favorite medium.

Hi Luvs - I know you are out there 'cause I see you over on the Holiday forum. By the way I just purchased a beautiful set of dishes with roses on it.{{gwi:1485352}}

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi PF, what a nice surprise to see your post. Yep, I'm around at several of the forums, but not getting much done--keep blaming it on the hot weather, but actually it is just procrastination! LOL

Love all three of your Christmas items. You always do such a wonderful job on the faces--so realistic looking. I like the sheen you achieved, what sealer did you use on these projects?

Dishes with roses on them! You know I love anything with roses. Why haven't you shown them to us on the holiday forum?

We have been sort of dragging over there--none of us doing any entertaining and not even any practice tables. Those gals don't all come over here either, so they would enjoy it if you posted your Christmas items there. We talked about Christmas in July, but that's about as far as it went! LOL

I've read articles about the HOOT shows. I know you will have a good time and enjoy yourself. Maybe you will have lots of new ideas and suggestions for us when you get back.

Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs, the sheen is a varnish called "Triple Thick". It is made by DecoArt. It is a thick gel and works great on smaller objects but I don't like putting it on anything big, kind of hard to manage. It works great on the lightbulbs and the metal because it keeps the paint from being chipped and you can do several coats. I think Michael's carries it.

I haven't received the dishes yet, hope to get them this week. Then I will post it on the Holiday forum.

I really have to learn to learn how to move my pictures from the camera to the computer, just haven't taken the time to do it - heck, I still have a wireless mouse and camera I have not hooked up yet - and I got them for Christmas 2005!!

I have never been to HOOT before but I am looking forward to it. I am going with a couple of decorative painting friends. It is a 13 hour drive from Florida but we are going to split the time. At least next year the Society of Decorative Painters Conference will be in Tampa, only an 8 hour drive.

Even though I am not posting much I am still checking in every day. I am the type of person that loves to listen to everyone talking but not always wanting to jump in on the conversations.

Here is a cute snowman on a refrigerator bulb and a Santa on a chandelier bulb (I hope to make this a necklace). We also painted a lightbulb stoneware blue then painted trees loaded with snow, then splattered the whole bulb. It came out really cute. Guess you can paint anything on those bulbs and the best thing is they are burned out so they are free!! {{gwi:1485351}}{{!gwi}}
    Later

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Your Santa light bulb ornaments are my new favorites!! You do such a wonderful job with the faces! My favorite one before seeing yours was a santa, but he had a faux fur hat. The snowman is very cute too. I have a whole bag of lightbulbs that I need to get spraypainted so I can work on them this winter.
    You know we are glad to have you post whenever you can.
    :) ~Anj

• oddie
    16 years ago

Beautiful!! I have seen the painted spoons before but they are mostly the cuttie kind, love how you have done yours! the santa face looks so real, beautiful lightbulbs also, some day I am going to learn to paint.
    Oddie

• paintin_fool
    16 years ago

Hi PF, I love the spoons and the bulbs - your Santa faces are amazing!! I need to start on some Christmas stuff, but it so hard to get in the mood when it's so hot out. I have some light bulbs that I want to paint and I've read that you can use just about any spray paint to base them with - is that true? What do you use/suggest?

By the way, I read in another post where you mentioned that you belong to painting chapters in Crestview and Mobile - do you live around the Pensacola area? Just wondering as that's where I grew up.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, I live in Pensacola, it is where I grew up also. I just had a feeling we had someting in common when I read your first post. We have a chapter called North West Pensacola Sea Oats and it has been around since 1976. I have been a member since 1985 but have been painting for longer than that.

I don't know the correct way to paint lightbulbs but I have spray painted some and brush painted some - both seem to work well for me. I have also sprayed them with Kilz primer also. I thought if I used a primer it would keep the paint from chipping off. I also have used Jo Sonja sealer but I think the trick is to get several good coats of varnish on them in the end. You have to be careful with the bulbs as you paint them because it is easy to nick the paint.

I have started using DecoArt Triple Thick varnish but I have a problem with the red color bleeding through a bit. I called the company to find out what I need to do to prevent it. It may be that I just need to spray with Krylon 1311 before varnishing. So, I think you should try painting them with whatever you have on hand and then seal the paint well with several coats of varnish. I have added a tag to mine saying they are glass and should be treated with care to prevent nicks - the same as you would with any glass ornament.

I am teaching the Santa lightbulb and a Snow spoon next week in Mobile. I wish I could gather you all around and show you how easy it is to paint those little faces. But since I can't I will be very happy to share what I know at any time. Sorry to be so long so early in the morning.

I am so excited to find someone from my town that has the same interests.

• paintin_fool
    16 years ago

That's amazing!! What a small world! We lived close to the Osceola Golf Course. I moved from Pensacola when I was 14 in 1982 to live with my older sis after our mom passed away. Her (now ex-)husband's job had transferred him to MS, so that's how I ended up there (the 1st time). Everything after that becomes a VERY long story!!

Thanks for the tips on the light bulbs. My main concern is that I get anxious to finish something and anytime I've painted something that's 360°, I end up sticking my fingers in wet paint! As for a primer - I've been hearing alot lately about Glidden Gripper, but as of yet have not seen it in a spray can. They say it's suppose to stick to glass. I had some Zinnser primer in a can that I was going to try thinning down with water (otherwise you'd have to trowel it on, it's so thick and goopy), but I went off and left it in my shed in MS - I've heard it'll stick to glass, too.
    Don't apologize for being so long! :) I'm one of the world's worst about rambling on - that's why "try" to limit my computer time, or else my day will be gone before I know it.
    Paintin

• anjabee
    16 years ago

I use el-cheapo Walmart spraypaint as a basecoat on the bulbs and mason jars I've painted and none of them have scratched or chipped yet either. ~Anj

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Hey! I live in Pensacola too! I don't come to this forum as often as I go to Garden Junk, but I do come once in awhile. I like the bulbs and spoons that you have done.
    Do you do any local shows, or have anything in a gallery here?
    We did crafts shows all over the Eastern part of the US, and had a store in Cordova Mall (consignment) for several years. DH died in April, and I am thinking about doing a few local shows again.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paintin, I would use whatever I have on hand. If Ang says it works for her I would try it because she has a lot of experience painting. One way to keep it off yours hands when spraying is to wrapped wire around the top and hang it from a rod - the wire helps in helping it dry also. Remove the wire before you add your decorative hanger. I always hold the bulb at the threaded part and I blow dry everything. If you went to Pine Forest High you probably knew my son, he graduated in 1985, his name was Troy and he was a pitcher on the baseball team, drove a burgundy '68 Mustang.

Nona, I haven't done shows in years and I don't have anything in galleries. I remember a store in Cordova years ago, always loved going into it. Wish we had more stores like it. Right now we have nothing so I have no where to sell my items. A decorative painter named Sandy Aubuchon suggested I take my items to some of the Floral shops and gift shops in town. I just might do that this year. Sometimes I don't paint because I have no way of selling it and I can't keep everything I paint. I do give a lot away to my family, teachers at school benefit from my stash, and I donate a lot of items to the hospitals for fund raisings.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Oh no!! Don't let her tease you. I'm nowhere near as experienced as PF!! No comparison at all! She has taken and taught so many classes and I'm just a self taught dabbler!! ha Just putting in my experience with the spraypaint element. I hang mine from fishing line from a low tree when I spray them too. I'm sure my neighbors have thought I was nuts at times hanging light bulbs from my tree. ha :) ~Anj

• paintin_fool
    16 years ago

Oh yeah - the base coat I can usually get without too much of a problem - it's when I start painting the actual design that I end up turning it to look at the other side and end up with my fingers in the paint.-LOL-

PF, I went to Escambia HS(only for my 9th grade year, before moving to MS), but it seems like I remember a Troy from middle school. Did he go to Bellview?

Anj, I've wondered lately what my neighbors must think, too. In MS we lived out in the country with only DH's family for neighbors and they all knew I was nuts, so not much surprised them. Here we live right in town and at least the one neighbor who can see into our backyard does woodwork too, so hopefully he understands somewhat. The other day though I had painted some wooden eggs (natural looking colors - not bright pastels) and had carried them out to the garage to put a coat of wax on them (since that's where the wax was) and it was a pretty day, so I opened the garage door. A few minutes later, a woman drove up, stopped at the curb and asked for directions so I walked out to try and help her. I noticed she kept giving me strange looks, but I didn't really think much of it. I got her pointed in the right direction, she drove off and I looked down and realized why she was looking at me so strangely - I still had one of the eggs and a rag in my hands, steadily polishing it the whole time I was talking to her - I'm sure she must have thought it was real. I could only imagine what must have been going through her mind!!!!..."why on earth would this crazy woman be hiding in her garage, polishing eggs?"...LOL

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Oh my gosh, I'm LMBO!! My DD just came up and asked what's wrong with me I'm laughing so hard. It just hit me funny. It's good to have such a good laugh first thing in the morning. Thanks!! ~Anj

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My son did go to Bellview, we lived right up the street on Pursley and Saufley Field. Small world!!

Your story reminded me of something that happened in our garage. At my old house I also did my woodworking in the garage. I always told my kids not to bother me when I am cutting wood on the bandsaw since I didn't want to lose any digits. I usually wore an old terry cloth dress that had paint on it while cutting wood and I kept the doors open so the saw dust would filter out. Now, my son Troy, is a joker and decided to come up behind me and grab me with both arms down by my side. He is taller than me so he lifted me up and started shaking me up and down. I was laughing so hard I couldn't speak and could hardly breath but I was trying to tell him something. He carried me out of the garage just bouncing me up and down. Then all of a sudden he hollered "What the Heck!!!??" and let me go really quick. What I was trying to tell him was that I had a full bladder and had to pee but he found it out when he looked down at his toes! I waved at the neighbor, gingerly walked in to the garage, shut the garage door, got an old blanket, disrobed and ran as fast as I could to the den restroom. He no longer bothered me when I was working in the garage.

Even now when I think back on this I start laughing. Now I have gained a bit of weight so I don't think he can lift me anymore even if he wanted to.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Ya'll are crackin me up!! If my DH ever gets our garage finished (he's insulating, wiring and putting in FRP) I may be able to set up my tools and have a good garage story to tell. Or do I really want one?? snicker snicker :D ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I'm with Anj, you ladies are a hoot! Both good stories. Started my day off with a good laugh, thanks for sharing.

My DH and DS sometimes entertain our friends with funny "Mom" stories. Usually they are some of my most embarrassing moments! LOL

Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Luvs, I was embarrassed when this happened but I have to tell you that this child has kept me laughing for years - even though he is forty now. I feel like we grew up together since I had him at 17 years old. Anyway, he picks at me at lot and even if I am mad, I end up laughing at him. Several years ago I had surgery on my foot and could not put any pressure on it. I went to the restroom hobbling on one foot, maneuvered around the sink, lined up with the toilet, held on to the ceramic towel holder so I could slowly sit down. Hard to do on one foot. Wouldn't you know it, the towel holder broke and I landed hard on the seat - except the seat was up and I ended up in the toilet. I was screaming for help since I couldn't stand with just one foot. Both my husband and son came running in but both fell down laughing hysterically. I must have been a site to see, stuck in the toilet with a towel around me. They managed to get me up but I was so mad I was swinging my crutches at them - one of them left the seat up and they know I hate that. They were laughing and dodging the crutch until I finally fell on the sofa in hysterics. They have never let me forget that.

You know how it is when you are painting, sometimes you end up with it on your face or in your hair. They have taken me to the store after I have been painting - never telling me that I have a streak of paint across my cheek. People are looking at me a bit weird but I didn't know why. I just thought they were admiring my good looking son, and of course he puts his arm around my shoulder and pats my head as if to say, "My mom, she's just had a bad day." That should have been a clue. Then later in the day I finally look in the mirror and realize what they were seeing - someone with war paint on their face. They must have thought I was nuts. Thank goodness I have a sense of humor - you have to with the nuts I have in my family including my sisters.

I hope you have a terrific vacation. I will leave for Pennyslvania next month to watch the trees change color and hope to take a painting class with Roxanne Pulaski. Today is my birthday and it is a gift from my husband.
    later

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday Bebe!!! Hope you have a terrific day.

Mine is coming up at the end of the month. I'm going to try to ignore it again. I've been 34 for the past 4 years. ha We'll see if I can get away with it for another year. I simply refuse to get any older. :D

Your toilet story was at once tragic and hilarious. ha There will at least be 2 men in the world who know to put the toilet seat down when I am done raising my boys. This I pledge!! ha I think I put the fear of Mom in them the last time their potty training 3 yr old sister fell in. We haven't had any more incidents for a long time. :) I think it's on the job description for moms to have a good sense of humor, isn't it? You sure need it a bunch! ha ~Anj

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday, Bebe!

Saufley Field is not much more than a mile or so from me--I live on Palafox, just south of Brent Lane and North of Masschusetts.

Our store name was 'Articles and Objects' and was just outside Gayfers Mall entrance.

Funny stories!! I love them!

How can I get into one of your painting classes?

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nona, right now I am only teaching at my club. We are member of the Society of Decorative Painters and we have chapters all over the United States and the world. Membership in our chapter is $15 a year but you have to be a member of the Society also which is $40 a year. You receive a painting magazine six times a year and you get to be with a group of ladies who love to paint. We have auctions, paint ins, teas, a booth at the fair, etc. If you would like to come to a meeting to see what it is like, just come to the Baptist Medical Park on the corner of 9 mile road and University Parkway. We meet in the Azalea Room at 10 am the first Saturday of the month. We would love for you to visit. At each meeting we paint a project, this month it is stroke roses. The cost for the project is $15 plus $1-$5 for the supplies. We could paint all afternoon depending on the length of the project. We have teachers come in 3 times a year to teach their techniques. We had Sandy Aubuchon and Bobbie Campbell so far this year and will have Peggy Harris in October. Please google their names to see what they paint. Also, you can read about the Society at www.decorativepainters.org. Or just google it. I think I remember your store next to Gayfers. Don't you miss it?

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

Hi Anj,Hi Luvs.
    I havn't been over here in a long time,and i also havn't painted anything either.The gardens keep calling me and if i don't heed their call,they get out of control,if you know what i mean.

Hope you all are doing well,and keeping those brushes wet.

I'm also in a stitchalong on another board(cross stitch) and that's eating up a lot of my time in the evenings,not to mention it's also on black fabric so my eyes tire more easily.It's a big picture of an eagle called War Paint,and we're trying to finish by years end,but that ain't happening here.LOL

I also have my GK's all summer,so life as i used to know it is on hold for awhile.

Take care everyone and i'll be checkin' back in.
    Kathi

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Well, Kathi glad you are still checking in with us. I do cross-stitch too and that has been put on hold for me. I've got some santa's in progress in my bedside table that look accusingly at me every night, but I'm just too tired to finish it. ha I've never done anything on black. I bet that is hard. We like to have you drop in and chat anyway. Glad things are going well for you. Luvs just left on vacation, but she was going to try to check in. I hope she gets to. :) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi All, I'm at an RV park just east of Flagstaff tonight, and have pretty good internet right now.

PF, your story had me laughing so hard that I had to read it to DH too. He wanted to know what in the world had me cracking up?

Kathi, good to have you stop by. Sorry you haven't been able to do any painting--you always come up with such neat things. I know exactly what you mean about the garden--but I love puttering out there, and making creations to go in it.

Nona, you really should get started back painting again--there are so many cute patterns out there. Have you seen the list of freebie sites on this forum? I always wished for another painting partner (my friend who always painted and crafted with me died several years ago) but I have to say--this forum is the next best thing! ;o)

Keep up the fun stories, gives me something to look forward to in the evenings when we stop for the night.

Once several years ago our dog brought a dead dried up lizard into the house. DH put it on the arm of a chair where I usually sit to talk when I got home from work. I came in all wound up about something going on at my work, sit down to tell the two of them about my day, couldn't figure out why they were cracking up. Look down, and I had put my hand right on the dried up lizard! Naturally I shrieked and jumped up to get away from it and the two of them were nearly rolling on the floor with laughter! Only one of the many practical jokes they have played on me. :o)

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Nona~ I've always liked your projects. You should come paint with us. :)

Luvs~ glad you are moving along at a good pace. Euwwww! Dead lizard is giving me the heebie jeebies. I get a shiver every time I think about it. ha We used to sneak this realistic mouse into my mom's dishwater every now and then to give her a shriek and try her heart. ha We thought that was the most hilarious thing ever. One day it just disappeared....hmmmm I wonder what could have become of it. ha Mama must have wised up, huh? ha ~Anj

• nonacook
    16 years ago

I didn't check in here soon enough to get to the August meeting of the club---Maybe next month! I will print the info and keep it handy. Were you teaching the roses? Will contact you about it! No, I don't miss the store! I liked doing the craft shows much better. In the mall, you close the store 3 days a year--no time to do anything else! I almost hated that store-grin. High rent, only 3 of us to keep the store open, no money to hire employes. Even when we were not AT the store we still had to build stock. I do miss everything else, the cutting, sanding(?ha!), painting etc. I was in the mall yesterday, and Kirkland's has closed. That was where our store was. They were there about 11 years. I have some old copies of the society magazines. The girls I took lessons from gave me a bunch!

Luvs, you should have grabbed that dried lizard and PAINTED it! LOL-Silver would have been good!

Since Bill died, I sit at the computer a lot, and look at things to do, and then don't have the time left to do them. Grin. You would not believe the things that I have to paint on! I should be up right now washing light bulbs, or wine bottles, or spray-painting spoons! LOL
    And it has been so hot this year. Too hot to go outside and spray paint. Never thought I would say 'too hot'. My garden is covered in dewberry vines, and other weeds. I worked out there this morning, about 2 hours before it got too hot.
    Thanks, Anj! You, and luvs, inspire me by your kind words.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Nona, I would say it was the other way around--YOU inspire us! You have done so much with your painting and crafts--things I used to wish I could do.

Now, I still love to cut my wood pieces and paint a project, but it is mostly for my own pleasure or maybe a gift for a friend.

Like you, there are so many patterns and projects I have saved to do--just need to get myself motivated to get them done.

Anj inspires me, I figure that if she can find time to paint while she is raising four children, then I have no excuse to not accomplish something! LOL

Even if you never pick up a paint brush, you can still come by and chat with us. We always love hearing from you.

Luvs

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living