Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Santa on a stocking

paintingfool
15 years ago

This is the project I am teaching tomorrow. I found these cute little wood stockings yesterday at Hobby Lobby for $1.47. They are about 8" long. I wanted to paint a really simple Santa for the ladies and I think they will like this one. Not much detail but very simple to do. After I painted him, I coated the piece with Triple Thick and then stuck my finger in it on the bottom so I have some repair work to do.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• oceanna
    15 years ago

That's just darling. Wish I could be in your class and I hope you have a great one.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

PF, you do those faces so well. That's an unusual color combination for a Christmas ornament--but I like it. Good price on those cute stockings too. Luvs

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our paint in went really well. We have some really talented ladies in our group.

Luvs, I love the Americana Desert Turquoise especially when I paint snowmen. Since this was for my grand daughter I added the French Mauve for the top. I have a Christmas tree with pink ornaments, I think it will fit right in. But you should have seen the ornaments the ladies painted, some had a pretty Magenta color for the top of their stockings. It looked a little south western.

When I was looking for a different Santa, I looked in my old ((1980) book of Sue Scheewe. I saw a Santa without a hat and it was my inspiration for painting this ornament. Since we were concentrating on just face and beard due to time constraints, this was perfect.

It sure gets you into the spirit, here it is with temps in the 90's and I have Christmas music on painting Santas and snowmen. Just love it!!

B

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Too funny, PF, that's one way to keep cool, huh? Actually, I enjoy painting Christmas items any time of the year, and it is always good to get them done early. Always seems to get so hectic when the holiday get closer.

Isn't it great that even when everyone is painting basically the same thing--they can all be so different? Took me awhile to realize that I didn't have to use the same colors as the pattern I was using--so much better to be able to use colors that go with your home.

I just bought a bottle of that Indian Turquoise at Michael's when they had the 66 cent sale. I also picked up some Citron green which was brighter than I usually use but looked fun. Got some other colors too, including a couple bottles of your Champagne gold. It's really pretty and I can't wait to try it on a project. ;o)

Luvs

• calirose
    15 years ago

So cute! Love your choice of the hatless design. My HL is 50 miles away not too bad if going to the area for something else! Hmm, I have a dr appt coming up in a month or so - I'll be sure and look around then!

You are so talented! I am sure the class really enjoys your teaching!
    rhonda

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Gosh, I missed a lot of good projects. This is different, but I know a lot of people who decorate for Christmas in pastel colors. I like it a lot. Especially old Santa man's beard. You are just so great at that.
    I too love painting Christmas or winter items all year round. Just finished up a snowman myself that I need to get posted.
    Thanks for sharing your pretty Santa. Hope it didn't take too much to fix up your accident. Don't you hate that?? ~Anj

• kraftylady23
    15 years ago

Beautiful, I love the way you painted his beard.
    Donna

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Another great project. You say simple Santa and it looks pretty detailed to me. Keep up the new paint color ideas, I like the turquoise, for a nice change. I love decorated pink Christmas trees also. Sue Scheewe was my inspiration to start painting years ago and I have alot of her books. Always enjoy your paintings.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the nice comments. I love painting Santas and I when I teach I keep it to the basics until the girls feel comfortable enough to add extra highlights and details. I love torquoise and the only color I could think of to go with it was a dusty rose. My Christmas tree is a hodge podge of different kinds of ornaments so this will fit on it very nicely - or I can put it on the pink tree too.
    Thanks again.
    B

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012