Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharon_fl

Working with liquid gold paint

sharon_fl
15 years ago

I'm about done refinishing the 'princess like' head & footboard for my grandaughter's room. I painted it a cream color & did the fancy carvings in very soft baby pink & lavender latex. There are some areas of the carvings I want to accent with the liquid gold. My question is this:

I have used latex paint on the entire bed. The gold isn't water based. I am varnishing the entire set. Should I apply the gold first, then varnish or wait & put the gold on after the bed is varnished?? Since I'm brushing the water based varnish on-I can leave the areas bare where I want to apply the gold. Seems like I feel there might be a chemical reaction if the gold & the varnish are layered. Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

All I know is oil can go on top of acrylic but not the other way around. Is the liquid gold oil? That may take forever and a day to dry and if the finish is a waterbased acrylic I'm not sure what may happen. Why not just get some gold acrylic paint or a paint pen and do your accents with that?

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You know..I have the paint up at my SO's house so cannot tell you for sure but obviously it must be oil based as it said to clean the brushes with some chemical which is only sold at HD by the half gallon! What the heck would I do w/a 1/2 gal of that cleaner!! Less $$ to just buy a new brush! LOL!
    I bought the liquid gold at Michael's..in the section where the gold foiling is located. I've been using it for accessories for the room-sconces, ceiling chandelier & wall consoles. I wanted to use the same color gold for the furniture accents. Never used the paint pens-but I'm open to that. My concern is if it's a wide tip? I have tiny little places on the turnings of the wood designs..also-do they flow out easily? I just can't risk screwing up these pieces with a pen if I can brush it on & have the control I need. So...methinks you are saying..to go ahead & use my water based varnish FIRST on all of the furniture pieces (which are water based latex)...THEN apply the gold over the water based varnish? Thanks you kindly for all of your input!!

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

If the gold is permanent when dry you could certainly do it on top of the varnished pieces. When you're not sure, follow what your gut tells you. How did you use it on the other pieces you've done?

A little more: I can do detail with a brush but I do like the ease of using paint pens - especially when it is a large project and there is a LOT of detail. My paint pens of choice are Permapaque pens by Sakura. They have a bullet tip on one end for fine detail and a chisel tip on the other for broader lines. These pens write just like, well, a pen! No shaking, no pushing the tip to release the paint, just take off the cap and start writing. Another reason I like them is that their light colors such as white, pink, etc. write well on dark surfaces.

http://www.markersupply.com/sape.html

I've ordered from the above supplier because they have the best collection of colors. They are VERY fast in filling your orders.

Another pen I do use occasionally is the ZIG Painty Twin marker (2 colors in one pen). Unlike the Permapaque it is oil based but it does write a very fine line. This one is a standard paint pen that has to be shaken and has the push down tip release of the paint. But of all the standard paint pens I've tried, I feel this one works best.

http://www.markersupply.com/zigpama.html

I have used these on many projects and put acrylic finishes over them without any problems.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted.

• sharon_fl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You are so nice to take the time to guide me on this paint project. Thanks for the website to order the pens. Will give it a shot! When I get these pieces done I will email photos of them to you as I have webtv/msn & can't post pics with this stupid unit! LOL!