Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Different Patio Paver

luvstocraft
16 years ago

I ran across these pavers at Lowe's several months back. Thought they might be good to paint and create "people"--I first thought about a pair of Raggedys or a garden lady. I could see painting it and adding some wood cutouts, silk flowers, etc.

Anyone ever painted this kind of paver? Got any ideas for using them?

They are very inexpensive just like the other pavers we have painted.

Here's a front and a side view of it.

Luvs

{{gwi:155243}}

{{gwi:155246}}

Comments (19)

• anjabee
    16 years ago

That should be excellent for painting people. I haven't seen those before. I'll have to check out my Lowe's.

I'm seeing a group of carolers for Christmas. What other upright creatures could you do. Maybe a penguin? ha Gingerbread people. Snowpeople. An angel. A ghost. I think the more you stare at it the more things you can imagine. A barbershop pole. ha A gumball machine. Gas pump. hahaha. This is fun. If you laid it on it's side and could attach some kind of wings it could be a butterfly body or some other kind of bug. Perhaps a fish. Keep staring at it Luvs. There's lots more lurking in there. ha

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! You are full of ideas there. Christmas carolers would be cute--too bad I can't make them different heights, that would look good. I can see it as a penguin, especially since it looks so "stiff" (duh, it IS stiff) I think I have some penguin patterns too. An angel or butterfly would be fairly easy too. I'm glad I asked for suggestions--thanks. Luvs

• nodakgal
    16 years ago

I left you a link on the Craft forum Luvs. Hope it helps! I need to get back to some that are stacked in my garage! LOL The ones I have right now are the Europavers not the ones you got, but I'd love to do some of the curvy scalloped ones too.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Nodakgal, I got your link, thank you so much. I've painted the square top pavers, just hadn't noticed these before. Another poster sent me pics of gingerbread men and a snowman too. I'll just have to make up my mind and get busy. I only bought two of them so far.

Since you are a painter too, hope you will check out our gallery section and the other posts on here, and then add some pics of projects you have painted too. The more the merrier. ;o)

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

nodakgal~ I really liked all the great ideas on the link you posted on Crafts. Thanks for the great site. Hope you'll come back here and share some of your painted stuff with us! ~Anj

• diarich
    16 years ago

Those are really cute!
    If you wanted differant heights find a guy with a wet saw.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Good idea Diana. (Hi btw, long time no see!) Luvs, I think if you take them into Lowes or Home Depot they will cut them there for you for free? Give em a call if you decide to do that project and really want them different heights. ~A

• nodakgal
    16 years ago

LOL Girls, I painted til about 4 years ago and things have just not gotten done since then. Life gets in the way you know? My poor scrollsaw has cut very little wood and my paints have barely been out of the tote they are in. I miss it and some day would like to get back into it....just have no idea when is all. I have checked the gallery and the posts and you all do fantastic work!

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Well, when you feel like dusting off those paints we'd sure like to have you join us more, nodakgal! ~Anj

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I finally took a picture of my Santa. Now I painted him 5-6 years ago, before I was into sealing things so some of the paint is chipping off. I also mixed salt with the cream paint to make his hair and beard textured and that's coming off. I planned to make him a hat or something and never did. Sadly enough, this poor guy has been hiding behind the toilet in the half bath for the last few years...I have no clue WHY! LOL

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sweets, your Santa is just darling, love his little face. You can either repair him, or keep him "as is" and say he's antiqing!

Your mixing salt with the paint reminds me of my painted Valentines cookies that I sprinkled with regular sprinkles for cookies/cakes. Except that mine disolved! LOL

P.S. Next time, I think I might try sand or sawdust--I think that might work.

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Sweets~ that is a funny place to have Santa reside. ha I kinda like him distressed looking. He does have a darling face. I'm gonna have to get some of these to try. Gosh, can my to do list get ANY longer??? You learn something new every day. Never thought to put salt, sand or sawdust in with the paint to give it dimension. Good ideas. ~Anj

• altacountrygirl
    16 years ago

Hello all - I'm brand new at this and just discovered all the painted paver pictures on the internet. Wow - these are all awesome! So cute! But, can you please tell me what paints to use and what sort of stuff do I use to make ears, wings, antenna, etc - are they pieces of felt that is cut out and glued on? I want to make some of these myself soon. I sort of have an advantage for the pavers themselves - I work in a landscape supply center and we sell all sorts of pavers in many shapes and sizes! I can't wait to hear from someone and get to making some of these.

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Altacountrygirl, Welcome to the painting forum. Hey, you could even take some of your painted pavers to work--I'm sure your coworkers and customers would enjoy them.

They are so easy to paint--but use your old brushes, they are sort of hard on brushes. I just use my acrylic paints and then spray two or three coats of sealer on them. You could also use the Patio Paints and skip the sealer, or even use left over house paints.

There are two books out with cute patterns. You might check www.artistsclub.com or your Michael's store. I have one of them--will have to hunt for it and give you the name and author.

You can use anything on them. The fun foam would be best if you intend to put them outside. Regular felt would not hold up outside. You can add wire or chenille stems for antenae on the ladybugs. You can glue eyeglasses on some things. You can add some bling by gluing some pretty half marbles or old jewelry on. Just use your imagination, and the sky is the limit!

Hope you have lots of fun with it, and please come back and share your pics with us.

Luvs

• gram_NH
    16 years ago

Hey Luvs, Found something to do with those pavers!! Heehee

While looking for the Grinch paver someone did on one of the boards a long time ago, I came across these, and remembered your post.

Oh, and Sweets....love that Santa!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tall Pavers

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Gram, I just got my computer working again so couldn't respond until now. Thanks so much for that site, I had not seen those. I still havent' painted my two pavers. Maybe will get to it after the New Year. So many projects I'd love to do, how about you? LOL

Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

I've got my 2 sitting here beside my desk waiting to be painted as well. ha I've already warned everyone here they are gonna be seeing Christmas projects from me until well into the New Year since I didn't get to paint any before. ha Thanks for pulling this up Gram. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm in favor of that Anj. Maybe we should just continue on with our Christmas/Winter creations at least through January. Maybe that way, we will have some of them ready to enjoy next Christmas!

I don't usually do too much for Valentine's--I think I have one or two patterns I would like to paint, but those could be done in February--surely two weeks would be long enough if I get myself in gear! LOL

How about the rest of you? Got any projects you haven't had time to finish before Christmas this year?

Luvs

• payck
    16 years ago

I just love all the paver suggestions. They are so helpful. I am curious as to what type of adhesive everyone uses to attach the wood, felt, embelishments, etc. I was told I needed to use a special kind but I can't remember the name. Please help. Thanks!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH