Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anjabee

Gail...

anjabee
16 years ago

I thought of you the other day. Passed a stack of old chairs (actually some of them didn't look so old) out on the curb intermingled with trash bags. They were right by a busy streetlight so no way to stop and pick any up, but I bet you would have found a way. ha I don't know why people throw those out to the trash when we have so many donation centers around here that will even come and pick the stuff up from you. Anyway, probably made you feel bad that you missed out on those and wishing they would have been in your neighborhood instead of good that you were thought of. ha Just remember that it is the thought that counts!! ha How's your inventory coming? ~Anj

Comments (15)

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Hi Anj, I can't believe people throw away chairs either. I wish I had been there :) I have found some of the best chairs that way. I don't seem to be accomplishing much. I have 4 things painted and waiting for the design. This morning someone who bought a little planter chair last spring stopped while I was out for a walk. My hubby sold them the hunter green chair with the vase back. The thing is I wasn't finished. I didn't have any sealer on the legs yet! He gave them one of my cards because they want me to paint them a golf themed chair, so I hope I hear from them.
    It's nice to have a repeat customer. I have only one other planter chair from last year. I was just out in the garage sanding a couple I can use as planters. I have a lady coming over next week to look at my unfinished chairs. She wants a planter chair done up in the colors of the one my hubby just sold. I was hoping to show her that one. But it sounds like she has her own idea of what she wants painted on it. Anyway, I decided to let my 4 projects sit and work on some planter chairs. This time of year they will be more popular. Good thing I'm not in any craft shows until Sept. I'll have to work my fingers to the bone the rest of the summer. Here's a picture of the little chair these people bought last year and one of my golf chairs. Thanks for thinking of me. Gail

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow you are busy right now. I'd be stressing big time. Hope you have good nerves. ha Funny that DH sold the chair before it was done, but at least you have a pic to show the new client. I really love that wire chair. Very pretty. I'm not much into golf, but you did a wonderful job on that one too. Love the trees on the back. Kinda cool how everyone has their own vision of what they want and you bring it to life. You keep being so popular and you'll have to open up a shop somewhere. I imagine it's good to make money doing something you love, but my problem would be not wanting to part with any of them. ha Keep up the good work and don't forget to have DH take you out to celebrate your success every now and then. You deserve it! :) ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say that these two are wonderful too. You do a really great job with all the chairs. Luvs

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Thanks Anj and Luvs :) I wish I could find more of those little powder room chairs. So far I've only found 2 and they sell right away. It was hard at first to part with my chairs. It's getting easier now. I can always paint another one. I'm getting a little stressed. Wo-Zha-Wa's only 2 1/2 months away and I've got so much I want to get painted for it, and I still have to do the advertising for the event. That will take some time too. But I know I'll come thru. I'm still having fun. I'm off to look for some more chairs today. I need more planters. Gail

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Good luck with your search Gail. Do you know the trash pickup days in your area and try to go out the night before or early morning? And the dumpsters behind places like 2nd hand stores too? You seem to have been having great success finding them so far. I've loved seeing each of them after your "magic brush" has transformed them. ;o) Luvs

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think if I thought I had to have them done by a certain time or done a specific way I'd get mental block and totally shut down. ha Glad you are still having fun with it all and good luck on your chair search today. I'm sure you already have all your friends and family on the lookout for you as well. Can't wait to see what you design next. :) ~A

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Well I didn't find anything at the TS. But I found a new store in a neighboring town that specializes in antiques, collectibles, crafts and quilts. The lady that runs the store makes quilts for chair seats aside from all her regular quilts. However she can't paint so we have decided to combine our talents. I brought home one of her chairs and I will paint it to go with her quilt seat. When I'm finished we will raise the price (right now it's $25)and when or if it sells I get half. I could use some ideas though. The quilt is cats playing with a ball of yarn. The colors in it are brown, gray, blue and ivory. She tried to paint some purple birds on the back of the chair. I plan to paint a cat, maybe with birds or butterflies. Not sure what colors to paint the chair though? Any ideas? Do you think I should introduce another color like purple or dark blue??? I also picked up 4 matching wooden chairs for $25 :) Gail

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Wow! Those four chairs look just perfect with the space on the back for painting. What a good deal on them. The quilted bottom for the chair is very nice. Just a thought, but maybe you could take the seat off and photocopy the fabric, then make yourself a cat pattern from it. Even if you just painted a couple of the cat's heads I think that would look good. Brown and blue are really popular color combinations in decorating right now too. Will look forward to seeing how they all turn out. Happy painting, and I hope you make a good profit on them. Luvs

• anjabee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I feel like the student giving the master advice. ha But maybe it's still good to get a few perspectives so....I really like the checkerboard pattern on the fabric if you could somehow incorporate that elsewhere on the chair (maybe on the center panel along the outer edge?). I think the dark blue would be good to use if it was complimentary to the blue color on the fabric. Brown and blue do really seem to be "in" right now. Can't wait to see what you come up with. I think it's going to look darling though. I like cats. Great idea to team up. Hope it works out well for you and good deal on those chairs! ~Anj

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Anj & Luvs your ideas are great! I'm going to paint some kittens playing with yarn and the back is perfect for a checkerboard pattern. I did that once before on this apple planter chair. I love to get other peoples feedback. I do this so much sometimes I don't see the obvious. As soon as I finish I'll post a pic. But it might be awhile :) Gail

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Gail, this one is great too. You have really created some pretty chairs. You might try the nylon mesh stapled to the chair seat (letting it sag in the middle a bit) to plant in--that might save on the cost of planters and leave you more profit.

So do you just brush or spray on a coat of primer? Do you use craft paints or house paints for painting the chairs? Do you tape off the sections so you can paint the different colors? I may never ever paint a chair, but inquiring minds like to know! LOL

Luvs

• gail1055
    16 years ago

Luvs, I have used house paint but usually I paint with craft paint. You can't beat the colors. I brush on at least 3 coats of Aqua Borne Ceramithane interior/exterior clear finish. It's a water base product and the best one I've ever found. It's so tough that it can be used on wood floors. I don't tape off sections when I paint. The nice thing about painting is you can just paint over any mistakes. You should try painting a chair. It can be lots of fun. If you have an old chair that's been in the family it's a fun way to turn it into something special.

I have thought about using nylon mesh. In fact I was looking at some at the home building store this weekend. When I finish the chairs I'm working on I'll use up all my baskets. So this will be a good time to try something else. The only thing about the nylon mesh is I will then lose the cocoa liner. That can be expensive to buy and I like the look of it on the chairs. Maybe I could just line it with landscaping fabric. Well see...Gail

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Gail, I love all of your chairs! I have been collecting chairs from the roadside, but because we have had hurricanes, in '04 and 05' and my DH learned that he had cancer in '04, plus he had several surgeries, (He died the end of April)I have not had the opportunity to paint anything except a few pavers, and some snowmen. You have given me some great ideas! I just need to get off the computer and do something! It has been so hot here, I can't seem to get started! One question--I can't tell what is on the golf chair except 'quiet'--is it just trees and parts of sandtraps and the course?

• nonacook
    16 years ago

Thanks millions, Gail! I had not even thought about a 'golf chair' until I saw yours! I appreciate you showing me the others.
    I do have cousins that own a golf course, so maybe they would let me put a chair or 2 in there-LOL
    Not that mine will look as good as yours, however. I have not painted much fro several years and I am rusty!