Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anamandy

Free Wood

lovetogarden
18 years ago

I was in this cute little shop that had a mix of the old and the new. There were things both for hte house and garden. One of the things that I fell in love with were the signs. Just a piece of wood, antiqued crackle painted and with a message such as:

Dinner Choices

1. Take It

2. Leave It

That was one of the amusing signs but there were many, many more. Some were painted with beautiful flowers, such as bright red poppies on a black background, etc.

Anyway, I had to go to the lumber yard to get some wood to make another trellis and there was a big bin of scrap wood. I asked the guy who was cutting my wood what they did with it and he said throw it out. When I asked him if I could take some pieces he told me I could help myself. There were tons of pieces just perfect for making these great signs.

Anyone interested in free wood should make a trip to their local lumber yard. I got so many pieces I could make blue jay houses and signs. Anyone else found this generosity at their local lumber yard?

Comments (7)

• calirose
    18 years ago

Absolutely! But I hadn't experienced the "free" pile!
    I think establishing a rapport with the local lumberyard is a great idea.
    In my case, I bought lumber but brought them a photograph of what I had done. They often cut the wood into sections without extra cost, because I use them frequently. I must check out their throw away pile!
    Thanks!

• Way2Old2Care
    18 years ago

Hi All! Just to keep this post alive... For those that live in rural areas, watch for new wood homes going up. Sometimes they will give you all the free wood scraps just for hauling them away. I can't afford to buy wood but have a LOT of wood scraps that I have garnered this way. What I can't use in projects goes into the woodstove.

Happy Toling & Merry Christmas!

• Spykesgal
    18 years ago

Don't you just love it when you find good wood and it's free? My oldest son builds homes and he always hooks his mom up!
    It is true, one man's trash is another tole painter's treasure!

• diarich
    18 years ago

I get wood from a company that build roof frames. They said during the summer they have a hard time getting rid of it. During the winter people get it for starting their fireplaces.

• sweets98
    18 years ago

They manufacture modular homes just a mile from my house (which is actually weird because it's a rural area and there are no other plants or businesses nearby). Each day they dump their scraps into a bin out front for anyone to take. Most people use the scraps to get their wood stove started.

Anytime I'm low on wood and DH hasn't worked on anything recently, I stop in there. They can have some neat stuff somedays, too.

Like once they had these like oval shapes cut out of 1X6 pieces of wood. I took metal and cut out fins and made fish! I got so many compliments on them!

Lately I've been finding pieces of beadboard, crown moulding and chair rail. They make interesting pieces to paint on, too.

• afosborn
    17 years ago

Hubby's boss was putting cedar siding on his new garage... well, it's all plained (smooth) and the PERFECT Size for signs.... I've made 100+ so far and have enough pieces for at least that many more! All we had to do was go pick it up... He sd he was gonna give it away for kindlin until he found out I wanted it!!!

!!!

• sweets98
    17 years ago

Another way that I got free "wood"....we put laminate flooring in our bedroom a few months back. DH had to cut the same length off of many of the pieces and they have been perfect for a larger size sign. I prime, paint and seal and one sign is outside and doing great!

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz