Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gobldygook

Shelf life of acrylics

gobldygook
16 years ago

Just out of curiosity, what is the shelf life of acrylics?

I had a couple of really good finds on some 2 oz. bottles of paint. Most of them look like they have a good consistancy and have held their color. I just didn't know if they would go "bad".

Any help would be well appreciated!

Kim :o)

Comments (9)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Gobldygook, Welcome to the painting forum. Hope you will join in on our posts and especially in the gallery with pics of your painted projects.

I have some paints that I've had for over eight years. I just have to shake them really good before using. Some that are nearly empty do tend to dry out, but I have sometimes saved those by just adding a little water and letting them sit a day or two. I haven't noticed any difference in consistency between the old ones and new ones.

However, with that said, the stores like Michaels and Joanne's do seem to discount older or discontinued colors to move them out.

Perhaps some of the other posters here will add their comments based on their experience too.

Luvs

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I do what Luvs does.

My Gram was cleaning out a year ago and gave me her craft paints that I was using at least 10 years ago at her house to paint stuff! LOL They weren't dried out and still work just fine.

• gobldygook
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. That's kind of what I was thinking. Some of the bottles were looking kind of tired, and some were brands I haven't seen in a while, so I wasn't positive.

WooHoo! Then I got a couple of excellent deals...108 bottles of paint for $5.00 from a yard sale. 28 bottles never opened. And the other was 106 bottles for $5.00 at the TS. The majority of which were nearly full.

Out of all of that, there weren't that many duplicates, except in mint julip green...there were 8 bottles of it. Why, I'm not sure! I have a feeling that I'll never use all of it. :o)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Wow! You really got a bargain, especially considering that the very cheapest I have ever bought a bottle of paint for was 69 cents--usually at least 99 cents. Take that times 214 bottles and you have a big savings! Okay, now put them to use and paint something to share with us. ;o) Luvs

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Geez!! Wish I could find a deal like that! Yes, please share your painted stuff with us! We are kind of slow at this time of year. ~Anj

• gobldygook
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, this is the only thing I've had a chance to work on lately. A good friend of mine opened up a nail shop at her home and asked if I'd come up with something fun for her.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That is so darling! Looks nice and bright and cheery. I'll bet your friend was just thrilled with it. Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

As everyone knows I have hundreds of bottles of paint. I don't throw them away until they are completely dried up. I actually have a bottle of Folk Art paint "Ice Blue" which I have had since the eighties - that's right - the eighties. I used the color for reflective light and loved it. Now they have dates stamped on the side of the paint but all it shows is the date it was bottled. I say if it still works - use it. I water down some of my acrylics for the "white wash" effect on wood.

The sign you painted is darling! Great job.

• gobldygook
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I've only been painting for about a year or so. Hopefully one day I'll get as good as you guys!

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!