Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

A Fruit Trio

paintingfool
14 years ago

I am trying to finish up several of my projects. This fruit trio is painted on an 8"x24" canvas. The fruit squares are only about 5" so I tried to paint frames around each square. I will probably go back in and rouge around the frames with a bit of burnt umber but at least I am finished for now.

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (6)

• retiree43
    14 years ago

PF, I love this; it beautiful. Would you explain what "rouge" is and how it's done?? I've seen the term used but don't understand.

Clarice

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Clarice - I love your name. I painted this in acrylic and since I want a little extra shading, I sealed the painting with Americana Faux Glazing medium. Then I will come back and use burnt umber oil paint. I will brush on a thin amount of burnt umber in the corners of the frame and blend it out. You can do the same thing with glazing medium. If you look at the mermaid painting you will see the definition of her arms and back. I rouged the color in. A lot of people have trouble with a back to back float with acrylics, this just seems easier for me. And if I don't like it I wipe it off and try again. I hope this helps. And thank you for the nice comment. I really like looking at paintings everyone has done, hope to see some of yours soon.
    Here is my blog with the mermaid -

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushed By An Angel

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Bebe, your fruit turned out wonderful. You made them look framed and I wouldn't of known without you telling us. I had to go look again to see that they were all together and not 3 individual framed fruit. I like your choice of color on these and hope you'll post another picture if you add burnt umber.

Thanks for the reminder on the glazing medium and oil paint. How quick does each dry? You know when I'm painting, I'm a girl on a mission.

Punk

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Bebe, I would love to be able to just sit and watch you paint. You really do wonderful realistic painting. Your shading technique amazes me, especially the way you did the left side of the peach and the pear.

Doesn't it feel good to get some pending projects finished up? Just gives a sense of satisfaction not having it laying there calling your name anymore, right? LOL

Luvs

• sherwoodva
    14 years ago

Bebe, these are so pretty. I agree with Luvs, you are very good at shading and making things look realistic.

Thanks for the instructions on rouging. I've never tried that. Where are you going to put this? I can picture it in a kitchen, breakfast room or DR.

CC

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. I should also mention that I used my favorite Krylon 18K gold pen to do the inside of the frame.

It does feel good to get my projects done. I am working on a cottage now and I am almost finished. The fruit trio is hanging in my kitchen - my husband really liked it. Flowers are OK for him but being "manly" I guess he would rather see fruit.

I love painting realistic and I love painting flowers. I just noticed that in the pictures the green looks a bit bright but it really isn't.

I am off to bed since it is past midnight and my shoulders are burning from sitting in one position painting.
    Thanks again,
    B