Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Peeling (not appealing) toaster

oceanna
15 years ago

Paint is peeling off my cheapo toaster. Thing works fine.

As I recall, I bought this toaster because the last toaster, which also worked fine, had gotten ugly and peeling.

I'm not going to be entering this in the County Fair or anything. So I took a little sandpaper to it. Then I repainted it white with latex paint. I'll bet that will melt down in the heat, huh? Hmmm... I'm thinking of painting something on the sides to make it prettier. Ideas?

If I coat it in Spar Varnish (yep I have some and yep I know it yellows with time) will that make it last for a while?

It wasn't expensive. But I hate to use it as landfill when it works just fine. And I hate to look at it all ugly. And I hate to buy some fancy paint for it, besides I already did the latex as I'm not much for waiting when I want something... which come to think of it is one of the big perks of being able to paint in the first place, right?

Comments (19)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Gosh I don't know what to tell you. Maybe something like a Rustoleum type paint? I know they do make appliance paints that are supposed to withstand heat. You don't want it to heat up and then give off noxious gases or something. Mine is metal and gets pretty hot on the outside, does yours? Hopefully someone else will have some good advice for you.

Now as far as something to paint on it....does your kitchen have a theme? (I have cows) If not then how about a stick of butter and some jars of jelly? That's what I like on my toast! ha ~Anj

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes the part I'm painting is metal and I prolly should have used some heat-resistant metal paint on it, you're right. Hmmm... now maybe I need a new toaster after all.

Cute ideas! Jars of jelly is certainly appropriate.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Oceanna, I really don't know what acrylic paint will do when exposed to hot temperatures. You will have to let us know. The acrylic paint is waterbase, so won't give off fumes, but I'm not so sure about the sealer.

I think a can of heat resistant appliance paint might have been the best way to go if you are still using the toaster.

With all that said, an unused toaster certainly would be a cute kitchen decorative item all painted up with a cute design like Anj's butter and jelly, or cows or sunflowers, etc. ;o)

Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I gave up and bought a new toaster. It only cost me $9 on sale. I guess I'm one of the few people left in the world who doesn't like stainless steel - lol! Lucky me, right?

I shall put my old one in the charity box since it still works.

The new toaster is white. Boring, predictable white. So first thing I get a guy in the paint department (it's only Fred Meyer, kind of like Kmart) to help me look for an aqua colored paint that can withstand heat. No such thing. At least not there.

This toaster advertises that the sides stay cool. Maybe I'll decoupage something on there then, or paint something. Dunno which. I'm having some fun decoupaging lately. Ever done any of that?

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I have, but it was a long long time ago. I think the cutting out the designs took me too long--I like instant gratification. LOL Have you done much of it? What's your technique and what products do you like to use?

I have just a boring cheap white toaster too--but it does the job! ;o)

I'm not impressed with stainless steel either. It looks so pretty, but is NOT easy to keep clean. I just have a toaster oven and a coffee maker in it, and they constantly show fingerprints. So glad I didn't buy stainless for the stove, fridge,and dishwasher!

Luvs

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

oceanna,

I have a white Kitchen Aid toaster that stays cool on the outside. The metal toaster is actually inside a plastic housing which keeps the outside cool.
    BUT...Plastic or metal, there are paints for both.

- If the housing is plastic and does indeed stay cool you can use Plaid's Paint for Plastic or Krylon's Fusion for plastic. Both a good choice. Both can be hand washed.

- If the housing is plastic or metal and DOES heat up then you want to use an acrylic enamel. Acrylic enamels actually become permanent when heated. There are several out there but the one I use and like is FolkArt Enamels. They too can be hand washed.

And I have always enjoyed decoupage. I actually like to combine both decoupage and painting for a variety of
    projects.
    If you decoupage your toaster it will have to be one that will remain cool on the outside. Any heat will slowly destroy the decoupage glue.
    If the surface remains cool then you'll have to be sure and put a few final coats of clear protective finish over the entire piece when done. Decoupaging a toaster could be tricky business because it is handled and washed regularly which could cause the decoupage to start peeling.

• phonegirl
    15 years ago

Now I know why I took the time to come here and enjoy today. Oceanna, you made me lol and it felt good. You are all a kick with this post. I have no answers but it sounds as though Kraftymom knows. The new stainless doesn't show prints anymore and is easier than white or black, one just needs to know the right ones to buy.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I still hate stainless... and yes the memory of a horrid old stainless cooktop comes to mind. But I'm just not a grey or silver girl. Grey is my least favorite color and besides I live where it rains 9 months of the year, quack, quack. I'm a golden girl. :) I would like to punch out the idiot who decided brass was tacky and stainless was "in."

The sides of this toaster are metal. I haven't made toast yet but I need to and feel up the thing to see how hot it gets (sounds a bit depraved doesn't it?).

Luvs, I think it's time you did something about your toaster, honey. Here are some inspirations for ya:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

They are from France and they cost about $70 each. So I figure my $9 toaster needs a face lift. :)

Luvs, nope I never tried decoupage before. So the other night I did. I didn't know what to decoupage. All I wanted to do was get a feel for it. So I covered some of my small hand tools with flowers.

Donna, thanks for the info about acrylic enamels. You really know your paints! I hadn't thought about the decoupage glue and the heat. Good points.

Phonegirl, maybe you're fated to paint your toaster too?

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Now those toasters really make a statement! LOL Too funny, thanks for sharing Oceanna. Luvs

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Oceanna,
    I think you have me confused with someone else - I am not Donna. :-)

Kraftymom

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Oceanna, Donna is Kraftylady--we have a Kraftymom and a Kraftylady so I can understand getting mixed up. Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh dear. Sorry to our Krafty gals!

Thanks Luvs -- I think I was born confused. :/

• stilke
    15 years ago

Hi all - I stumbled across this site when looking for information on painting my toaster. Has anyone tried this? I've been wanting to paint my toaster like the photos above for quite a while. It is a "cool touch" toaster with plastic on the outside that is not supposed to get hot. I was thinking of using the Plaid paint for plastic but I emailed them and they said the product is not heat resistant and wouldn't advise using it for this project. So maybe I should try the acrylic enamel? Just not sure what to do... has anyone had success?

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Stilke, if your toaster is a "cool touch", does that mean that the outside does not get hot? If not, then there's no reason you couldn't use the paint for plastic on it. If it does get hot, I really doubt that painting it would work. Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Sorry I don't have any advice, but I hope you'll show us a pic if you decide to paint it! ~Anj

• stilke
    15 years ago

So, I spent some time discussing my options with an employee at my local craft supply store. I opted to go with a Pebeo paint for glass (which also works on plastic). The colors all go on pretty transparently (akin to stained glass) but the black paint is quite opaque, which worked since I opted to paint the toaster black and white. I'm not sure how durable it will be, but it looks good!

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

It really does look good, makes quite a fashion statement now. Good for you! Glad you came back and shared a pic of it with us. So what are you gonna paint now? Got an old mixer or coffee maker you could do to match? Luvs

• anjabee
    15 years ago

It does look really good! That's a pretty neat design. Thank you so much for coming back to show us what you did. I'm sure you'll inspire others to try it now. I hope it stays looking great for a long time to come! ~Anj

• pezabelle
    15 years ago

Oceanna..........How wonderful! If my toaster looked like that I would leave it out all of the time...makes it more like a decorative piece than "a toaster." Did you use a stencil or free hand it? Sure is nice!

Belle

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm