Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnas_gw

stenciling house numbers onto vinyl siding?

donnas_gw
16 years ago

Can I stencil my house numbers directly onto our vinyl siding? If so, would acrylic paint do the job? I hate the thought of putting nails into the siding to hold numbers bought at a hardware store.

Comments (5)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

No reason why you couldn't. My first choice would be to use house paint. It's guaranteed to last 15 or so years outside. You can buy a small container or even look for some of the mismatched cans at the paint dept. usually for only a $1 or so per quart.

Of course you could also use the Patio Paints which are designed as outdoor paints too.

Or you could paint them on a square of wood and attach that to a stake or even one of the small metal flag holders that stick into the ground.

Hope your project turns out great.

Luvs

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Is this patio paint permanent? I'm thinking what if our address# should change. It did once when they put the 911 system in our area. Do you think painting them directly onto my vinyl siding would look ok, or tacky? Would you do it yourself, that is if you have vinyl siding?

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I guess painting it on would not be my first choice. But I usually prefer more decorative things. Not sure why putting regular hardware store numbers would be a problem--those could easily be changed out.

Housepaint and patio paints could be sanded and then painted over if you have paint that matches your siding.

Hope you find the solution that works well for you.

Luvs

• donnas_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do have an unfinished wooden plaque that I bought at Walmart a little while ago. I'm going to either use that or stencil the numbers onto my mailbox instead of onto my vinyl siding.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Donnas, I'm sure whichever way you choose, it will turn out fine.

Glad you came by the Painting forum. If you do any other decorative painting, I hope you will share pics of your projects with us. We love pics. ;o)

Please join in any of our discussions and feel free to comment or ask questions about any of our posts. There are lots more pics on our gallery section too.

Luvs