Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweets98

A few items on my back porch

sweets98
16 years ago

I was uploading photos of the back porch to share somewhere else and figured I could share them here, too. I painted everything out there :)

{{gwi:140240}}

Still working on the front porch. I'll post that later. :)

Comments (7)

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

I love the Americana look, you've done a fantastic job painting the one crock in front there.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Sweets! Thanks for sharing! Your porch looks good. I love Americana and so of course I love all your painted pieces. What are those that you are using for planters? They look like huge paint cans. I need some for my back porch. Can't wait to see your front porch!! :) ~Anj

• sweets98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. :)

The "crock" and the planters are what you think Anj...paint cans :) The newer ones are plastic. I paint constantly..not just decorative! So I had a few sitting around and thought they could be useful last summer. I just drilled a few holes in the bottom so they can drain if need be.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Good to know Leslie~ When I get done painting my stairwell and trim I should have a couple of gallon sized one's to paint and plant. Great idea once again!! ~Anj

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

Sweets, did you prep the 5 gallon plastic buckets with something before you painted on them or did you just use paint for plastic?

• sweets98
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I primed them with Kilz because I had it leftover from another project. You could also spray with some spray paint and go to town, too. I have used spray paint in the past on lots of glass, metal and plastic projects and it works just fine to get a quick base coat to work with.

I honestly have very little luck with that spray paint for plastic. I don't think it holds up very well. I have resin endtables on the porch that I painted about twice a year whether I used regular spray paint or Fusion. I finally tried Kilz and then Exterior house paint that I had left over about 4 years ago and they still look great! They clean up easily, no knicks or marks....

The paint cans set outside all winter, too. I just sprayed with clear spray paint when finished to seal them good. I usually re-spray once every year.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Sweets, Isn't Kilz the greatest thing? And using housepaint on outdoor items is a great idea too--it's guaranteed usually for at least 10 to 15 years, sometimes longer. I have a friend who makes birdhouses, and she goes to Lowe's and Home Depot and buys the returns or mis matched paints to use on them. I love all your Americana items too. Doesn't it just make you smile when you see them? Luvs