Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
learningtopaint_gw

couple of questions

learningtopaint
15 years ago

Hi all.... I tried to ask these questions earlier and I have no idea where it went so I thought I would try again. If the first post shows up later then please forgive me, I don't know much about computers. So here goes again. Is anyone a member of Tole town. I have been on the site a couple of times and it seems interesting. I have no teacher to teach me and I can't get out to classes very often so I have been teaching myself to paint using Painting Mags. They have been helpful and of course I read the posts on here. You would be amazed how much you all help us. Okay enough sucking up haha... The other question is... Does anyone know anything about E Packets? I see them the some of the web sites and I'm not sure how they work. Would it help for someone trying to paint to get some of those. As I said I don't know much about the computer and every learning tool I can get my hands on would be a great help.

Thank you all for your time. I know you all will be very helpful.

Sue

Comments (4)

• kraftymom
    15 years ago

Hi Sue!
    I am a member of ToleTown. It is quite the place with loads of information, tutorials, projects, and just friendly and helpful chatter. People of all levels of painting belong. Some of the people there have learned to paint just by belonging to the site and doing the on-line classes. And believe me when I tell you...some of those same people had never lifted up a brush before they joined ToleTown and some of them can really paint like pros! :-)
    They have 2 classes each month plus bonus projects and challenges. They give you plenty of notice on class times, dates, and supply lists. If you are new to the site they even instruct you on how to access the on-line classes at your computer and the best way to set up your painting station when it's time to join in.

I am a self taught painter and have been painting for many years. I had several painting magazine subscriptions that I decided to let go of because it was getting a little expensive (I still get PaintWorks). I always liked the magazines for new product and technique info. When I found ToleTown I found that I can get several projects, join a class at my own leisure, read articles, chat with other painters, and still get info on new products & techniques for the same price I was paying for one magazine. I have always wanted to be a member of a painting group where I can share ideas and paint. I wanted to join The Society Of Decorative Painters but the meetings are so far away from me it is not worth the cost of gas and hauling all of my supplies once a month. In all the years I've had internet I have never paid to belong to an on-line site until ToleTown. For everything you get, the price you pay is well worth it.
    Hope to see you there!

Regarding E-packets...What that means is that you will pay for the packet and then you will download the packet from the site printing it out yourself. That way you get the project immediately instead of waiting for it to be delivered by snail mail to your mailbox at home. A lot of sites offer that option to cut down on postage costs.

• learningtopaint
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi
    Thank you so much for answering so quickly.!!! I knew someone would know what I was talking about. I have been on the site a couple of times and it really does look interesting.

I am pretty sure you will see me there. My hubby has been trying to get me to go to classes but I really don't like the idea of going alone. I'm one of those people who likes to do things with someone else. So here I sit learning on my own. I also find I am a slow learner. It takes me a long time and a lot of repeat instructions to get to the end of the project. Well that was more info than you asked for.hahah

Anyway, thanks again for the answer. It really helps.
    Take care
    Sue

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Sue, I'm really glad Kraftymom was able to give you info about ToleTown and the e packets. I know what you mean about not liking to go to classes alone--always easier with a friend for me too. ;o) I might want to look into ToleTown myself--but as little as I paint anymore, I sort of hate to join anything for a fee.

Anjabee and I are pretty much self taught also. I did get to take a few classes at a painters house but then they had to move away, so that ended my classes. I've watched lots of videos and read lots of painting books. I find that I actually learn faster when I can watch someone though.

Kraftylady and Paintingfool both teach classes, so I'm sure they will be able to offer some guidance as well.

What type of painting do you like? Are you trying to do landscapes, or realistic things? Or are you just wanting to do some cute things for your home and yard?

I'll start a new thread for "helpful hints" and maybe everyone will contribute their tips so maybe those will be helpful to you too. ;o)

Luvs

• learningtopaint
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi luvs
    Thank you for answering also. i would really like it if there was a way to get helpful hints on here.. If they can help me then you know they will be able to help others.

i'm going to go over to the conversion side and tell about myself I think. There isn't much to tell, but that way i'm not taking up space over here.

it has always amazed me just how helpful everyone is over here. I really have learned a lot here. I spend a good part of the day on this site.

I try painting everything. I'm not very good but it really is fun.

Well I will go to the conversation side and tell all.
    Take care
    Sue