Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lulie___wayne

Let's Get to Know Each Other

lulie___wayne
20 years ago

It seems this forum is a little sluggish even though I know that there are enthusiastic artists here.

I thought that maybe to develop a rapport with each other we could introduce ourselves and tell about ourselves, as much or little as we like.

After getting to know each other, we could have a great time "conversing" not only about our latest art work, but also other topics of interest if that is allowed here.

Okay, I'll go first.

I am Lulie Cosby (nick name from birth) and I live in Southern Louisiana. I have been married for almost 31 years to the same guy who I met on my first and last blind date.

We fell hard for each other and married two years later.

We had two beautiful children. Todd was born first and then Christin. We tragically lost Christin at the age of 19 in 1998 trying to save our dog who was hit by a car. She in turn was hit by a truck and left us 15 hours later. Our lives have not been the same since then, but we make the most of it. Our son and his two sons are the light of our lives.

I started painting in the early 80's when I quit my teaching job and was "free" for 7 years. I took classes from a well respected artist in the area and I have always been so grateful that I found this hobby to pursue. When I paint, an hour seems like 5 minutes. I am a very detailed painter, and have a very hard time letting myself just leave it alone and go ahead and sign it. I guess I am too much of a perfectionist. I prefer to paint realistic seascapes, landscapes, birds and flowers. I have become quite interested in Trompe l'Oeil in the past couple of years, but haven't yet done a "master piece". It's in the works in my mind, though.

I am a retired middle school teacher of English and reading, but if you see misspelled words or grammar it is probably because I am so sick of editing/checking papers, that I usually don't check my own. Sorry!

Anyway, I won't bore you all with more of my personal life. I would love to get to know all of the rest of you!

If you would like to get a closer look at me and my family, do a search for "Christin Cosby". Her memorial website will be available.

Have a great day. I plan to.

Lulie Cosby

Comments (9)

• rhonni
    20 years ago

Hi Lulie!
    Glad to get to know you. First, so sorry about your tragedy. I give you credit, first for being so honest about it and also for going on living your life to the fullest (like I'm sure Christin would have wanted you to).

Well, I live in Lapeer Michigan, recently moving here to a house with almost 3 acres. I have been married to a great guy for almost 7 years now. I knew the minute i met him he was the one! We met in our mid 30s so I think the timing was perfect for us both. Unfortunatey we never had children, but we have 4 dogs and tons of fish! My dogs are like my "kids". I wish I could have 100. I do love kids, but I guess it wasn't in the cards for us.

I started painting 2-3 years ago - just playing around with free-hand stuff, then got into faux finishing, which i still love. I did some tole but now do mostly the One Stroke technique. I love to paint, any style - I find it relaxing, like you said, an hour seems like 5 minutes. I also have a part time job as a medical transcriptionist. I'm lucky enough to be able do to the job from my home. Many days though I dream of hurrying up and finishing my work and getting down to the basement and painting the rest of the day! It usually doesn't work that way tho :( . I'm usually too tired to do both! I do my best work fresh and early in the morning (either typing or painting!)

Well, I better let someone else talk now. Hope more people help us get this board going!!!!!!!!!

• Katie S
    20 years ago

I live in Louisville, KY. (Right between you two!) I am 30 and have four fantastic little kids. My oldest will be in kindergarten in the Fall. We are toying with the idea of homeschooling since the kids are so close in age. I am a former teacher, too, Lulie! And I never spell check, wither--- I am lucky to be able to find a few minutes to post! My huband and I met and fell in love just like you all! We have a lot in common! My first words to him were (I kid you not) "You must be the man I've been waiting for all my life." And his to me were, "I am." That was 8 years ago. We just had our 7th anniversary. Our oldest will be six this summer. We have boy, girl, boy, boy. Blond, blond, bright red, blond. They all get along great and are the light of my life! I am a muralist. I am not doing too many jobs right now because it is very difficult to carve out any real time--- esp since the baby won't take a bottle. I do mostly private homes but I do some commercial work too-- restaurants, hotels, MD offices, stuff like that. I did a house in Michigan, but have never done any in Louisiana. I am a huge trompe l'oeil fan, but do a lot of theme nurseries and the like b/c it's so popular. Oooh, baby waking, gotta go get him and stick him in bed with me to nurse.

• Katie S
    20 years ago

Hey, how come it seems like I am able to stop a thread with one message?

I answer, then all is quiet!

C'mon, someone, post!

:)

• lulie___wayne
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Okay, I think that the three of us can keep this forum going. It's great to get to know y'all a little better.
    I painted a couple of days ago, but it wasn't a picture. I painted a wall in my hobby/office room. When I first put the paint on the wall, I almost freaked out. It was so bright. It is kind of a mustard yellow/gold color. As it turned out, it was perfect. I have a large painting in the room that is predominantely that color. It ties in really well. Now, I need to repaint the ceiling around the skylight, remove my painting stuff from the living room, and start painting in my hobby room again. I have a lot of light in there and it is mine alone to leave my things out as I please.
    Has anyone tried to post pictures yet?
    Lu

• Katie S
    20 years ago

You GO girl! I am hoping to post pics tomorrow, but it's the first day of vacation bible school so we'll just have to see how the day goes.....

• lulie___wayne
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Can't wait to see your pics! I haven't ever tried to put any into the forum, but I guess one of these days I will.
    I'll probably need to allot a whole day to it! LOL
    Lu

• rhonni
    20 years ago

hmmmmmmmm...........I will try to post a pic of my painting right now. Let's see if I can figure it out..........(don't hold your breath though - LOL)!

• netla
    20 years ago

I can't believe only three people have answered so far!

I'm known as Netla. I mostly hang out on the Cooking forum, but occasionally stop by here to see what's happening. My painting interests lie in rock painting. I've tried painting on canvas and paper and I have found that the three dimensional shape of a rock is more suited to my style. I also draw, mostly Celtic/Viking style knotwork and abstracts.
    I live in Iceland, I'm 32, single and live with my brother (actually, he lives with me) and a flock of pet birds.

• Pokeydecatur
    20 years ago

Anybody still here? I just thought I would stop in and say hello. Been hanging out in the Garden Junk Forum and decided to branch out. I paint more on wood than anything...and I have to have a pattern or something right in front of me in order to copy it. I like to paint but didn't say I was any good at it! I used to draw a lot but haven't done it in years so I cannot even draw a crooked line now! Well, if I see any kind of response to this I will come back...in the meantime I will continue to branch!

Barbara

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor