Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Gallery Glass window completed

oceanna
15 years ago

I finally completed my Gallery Glass window for above my transom. It's the biggest one I've done, so I had Lowe's cut me some Plexiglas. It was much easier to work this on my floor than standing on a ladder.

I mention it here because every single one of you has the skill to do something like this and I'd love to see you all try this craft. It's fun and the results are gorgeous.

My son just came over and saw it in person for the first time and he said the photos really don't do it justice. I agree! It's hard to photograph windows.

Anyway HERE IS THE LINK if you'd like to see it.

Comments (5)

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness....WOW! That is totally gorgeous!! Just stunning. So you didn't actually paint it on the window...you used plexiglas and then just put that up in front of the window...is that right? Well, you did an awesome job and it is really beautiful. I would love to try to do that one day....it's on my list. ha ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

What a gorgeous design, and I love the colors. You did a wonderful job on it, Oceanna.

What amazes me most is that you climbed up on a ladder and balanced it on your head to get it up there! You crazy woman! Sounds like something I would do--but not such a safe idea. ;o)

I know you are going to enjoy it so much. Great piece of art.

P.S. Would you share how you hung your swagged lace curtains? I have a window that I'm thinking would look good with a similar swag.

Luvs

• marika5
    15 years ago

Looks Awesome!
    Mari

• anjabee
    15 years ago

I just got to go back and read all the posts attached to the post over on Stained Glass and I saw your window all lit up at night. So pretty! Ya done good! ~Anj

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Anj, yes that's what I did. I did my bathroom window in place right on the window. Lots of standing on my feet there. I did my son's window partly with clings I made, and partly in place -- because I didn't want to be at his house on my feet for a kazillion hours. This window is so huge, and it's really hard to set up a ladder in my entry hall as it's a split entry. It's "second story" too, and I don't like heights. So the obvious best choice was to work it on my living room floor (wish I had a bigger table). The plexi was cool as I could kneel on it without worrying about breakage, and it's so lightweight.

I'm glad you saw the pics of it lit up at night. That's my favorite part! :)

Luvs, thanks! I worked for days picking out and putting together the design. It's three different designs put together with a bit added by me. I was being really fussy about this design as it's right above my front door. Haha you're right, not all that safe, but Plexi is lightewight, not at all as heavy as glass. That's the only way I could get it up there. The colors were a process of evolving... I put in some colors and took them back out, as you can see if you follow the thread. Taking them back out is a PIB, but it's doable. I'm pretty good at "erasing."

The swagged lace curtains: Well, it's been a while. But basically I did it with nails (hey it's what I had) pounded into the wall and sticking out a bit, and I used rubber bands. I'd watched Shari on Room by Room do something like that. It was VERY quick and easy to do. Cuphooks is what she used, as I recall. That swag will be coming down now that the window is done. Anyway, play with it -- it's SO easy!

I really want you gals to try this. It's fun and it's so gratifying. What you get for your effort is really cool.