Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oceanna_gw

Painting on tee shirts

oceanna
15 years ago

Have you painted tee shirts? Can you show pictures? Can you offer any practical tips based on what you learned?

Thanks!

Comments (16)

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Hi Oceanna,

Yeah, I have paint on allot of my tee shirts, now I try to wear an old apron so the paint won't get on my clothes--oh, that's not what you meant is it???? LOL Just joking! ;o)

I'm sorry I don't have any left to take pics of, but I did paint a few several years ago.

I just used my acrylic paints mixed with Folkart textile medium. At the craft store, you can buy an inexpensive reuseable shirt form that you slip your tee shirts onto. The form keeps the paint from soaking onto the back of the shirt and you can pull the shirt smooth on the front for easier painting. (You could make your own, but why bother when they are not expensive to buy.)

Now there are fabric paints available, so you could use those and not have to mix the medium into your paints. (And I imagine they may be softer too.) There are also paint pens that can be used on fabric. These will be in a separate section from the acrylics at the craft store.

I hope this is the kind of information you were looking for. Mine washed and dried really well, but eventually the shirts got stretched out and had to go! LOL

Will look forward to seeing pics of your projects.

Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Luvs! Yes that's exactly the type of information I'm looking for. I guess that means I can't just go at it with my regular crafts paints as I need to buy some textile medium to mix in. I kinda' hate to buy a whole 'nother set of paints... well, I would if I decided I wanted to do a lot of this or sell them or something... but I hate to do that just for a couple of shirts.

Did you find that certain types of patterns were more slimming than others? I'm kind of wondering if flower stalks stright up the front from the bottom would be nice in that way?

Next time I'm at Michaels (which happens too often - lol) I'll look for that textile medium and the shirt board - thanks!

• kraftylady23
    15 years ago

I paint on clothing all the time. Folk Art makes a fabric paint as of 3 years ago and I love it. If you go to Michaels to get it, it is located not with the paint but with the Tshirts and usually on a end cap. If you use this paint you should first be sure that you have washed and dryed it without fabric softner and this is to remove the sizing. Secondly we have found that if you lightly spray the fabric with alittle bit of water the paint will go on better. Do not use too much water or the paint will spread. Use a somewhat stiff paint brush to paint with as this will push the paint into the fabric. They do make fabric paint brushes too and they should be with the fabric paint. If you paint on a dark tshirt you should first paint your design with white and then go over it with the colors you want to paint with as if you paint a light color onto a dark fabric it will soak into the fabric and fade. Painting on dark or light you may have to go over your painting a few times to obtain a good coverage. Then let dry at least 24hrs and then you can put in the dryer inside out for about 20min on a medium setting to set you paint. Or you can just let it dry for a few days and it will set on its own. If you have any other questions let me know. I hope this helps. Good luck and if I can ever figure out how to post pictures here I will post some until them you can go to my picturetrail to see.
    http://www.picturetrail.com/kraftylady23
    Scroll down until you see fabric painting album. Thanks for looking.
    Donna H.

• diarich
    15 years ago

When I first painted on shirts (many years ago) they didn't have the fabric paint. We just mixed the paint and the fabric medium and it worked just great. I just got rid of my last one not to long ago. The paint was great, I was just sick of it and sent it to goodwill. I guess the medium worked great.
    Diana

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Wow! We have a Certified One Stroke instructor posting with us. Donna H. how wonderful to have your very own studio! And I see from your albums that you do craft shows as well. Are you still doing classes and shows? Come tell us more about your experiences. I dabble with One Stroke, mainly the roses, and keep saying I am going to practice on the Iris and tulips some day. I'd love to hear about your classes and about when you went for certification.

You gave Oceanna some great advice about using a stiff brush basing the design in white first on dark fabrics.

Diana, I agree that the medium worked great--mine were washed a million times without any problem too. However, the painted areas were a bit "stiff" and I've heard the new fabric paints are softer.

Oceanna, I'm with you I don't really want to buy another type of paints--I keep getting my Patio paints mixed in with my regular acrylics already! The fabric medium is reasonable and if you are only going to paint a couple items, that's probably the way to go. And instead of having to buy new fabric brushes, just use your older brushes because you do sort of have to "scrub" the paint into the fabric.

Luvs

• kraftylady23
    15 years ago

hi Luvs,
    Yes, I am a OSCI and I still teach at my home studio with class of 4-6 every Tuesday night. I also teach at 3 assisted living facilities, and run a aftershcool program for children ages 9-12. Teach at JoAnns and Hobby Lobby. I only do three crafts shows a year as most of my time is taken up for prep time for teaching. I also teach Gallery Glass and Paper crafting and Home Decor clay. I am actually a nurse and use to work full time until 2years ago. My father was diagnosied with Althizimers Dx and I take care of him as needed. Of course I have 4 grandchildren who take lots of my time too. I love onestroke and have been painting for about 7years now and also belong to our local Society of Decorators Painter group too. So having said that I have developed my own style with the combination of both tole and OS. If you saw my albums you know I have been published a few times too. I think the os roses are ok just not as realistic as I want so I designed my own and am most proud of that. Now Certification in OS. I was scared out of my wits and shaking so bad I could not paint well at all the first day, but then got my act together and painted ok. Found out 6 weeks later that I passed and that was when Donna Dewberry graded our boards. So I guess that is enough about me. If you have other questions please let me know. I have no problems in answering questions about my painting. I hope you don't think I am snobbish as I still have lots to learn and probabley my own worst critic. You all here are so talented and I love that you are sharing your talents. Thank you for doing so.
    Donna H.

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Donna,

Thanks for your wonderful answer -- very informative and you've no doubt saved me money, time and headaches with your excellent advice. Thanks so much.

I also went to look at your pictures and enjoyed them very much. I especially love the outfit you did that you won a prize for. I loved the shot of your shoes matching your jeans. Very clever! While I was there I enjoyed the rest of your photos. You're very skilled and your work is just lovely.

I dabble in OS too, though you're WAY better than me. Most of what I've done has been on the walls of my house.

Did you see my GG window? It's my third. I think I posted the other two here a while back. I really love making those. I'd really like to pick up some commissioned jobs doing that but I have no idea how to get those jobs.

What state are you in?

Hi Luvs,

Good advice. I have a ton of acrylic paints, and now also a ton of Gallery Glass and Mirabeau paints. I'd like to use up some of what I have rather than just keep buying more and more and worrying about how to store it or how to ever use it up. If I do tees it will probably just be two or three for myself.

• diarich
    15 years ago

Donna H I sure did enjoy looking at your work.

Wish I could find classes here.
    Diana

• kraftylady23
    15 years ago

Thank you for your wonderful comments. Yes, I did see your beautiful gallery glass work you have a real skill for it and a passion too. I just finished teaching a gallery glass class to one of my assisted living facilities and we made wine bottles and I drilled a hole in the bottom and then preleaded some designs on plastic and they filled them in and after they dried we placed them on the wine bottles and then lit them up. They were so proud of them. Not only recyled art but inexpensive for me to make. My budget is limited at these facilities. I will try and post a few pics of these.
    Donna H.

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

You're welcome Oceanna, that's what we are here for--to share our experiences and help and encourage each other. You really do have great patience and an eye for design. I love that you are able to put portions of two or three patterns together to make your own design like you did with your GG window.

Donna H., you sound like a very busy lady. That is so wonderful that you go to the assisted living homes, I'll bet those ladies really look forward to your classes. Your Dad is so fortunate to have a nurse for a daughter! Let's hope they discover something that will halt Alzheimer's soon.

And the kids--aren't they just the most eager learners? My 3 yr. old GD already loves to paint with me. She won't paint on paper, has to have a piece of wood like Grandma! And it is so cute to see her rinse her brush in the water and then blot it on the paper towel like I showed her. ;o)

I have so many projects I'd love to do, but find that I procrastinate way too much! I need to set myself a goal of at least one project a week. (or maybe per MONTH) I should be able to get that completed. Just need to stay off this computer more I guess. LOL

Luvs

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your kind words, Donna.

Here are the other two windows I did, for anyone who hasn't seen them.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

So this was my third attempt...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

I hope these inspire someone here to try this. I like doing them so much... but you can only have so many of these in your own house... so I'm hoping people will want me to do some for them so I can keep making them - lol!

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The above ended up on the wrong thread. HOw did I do THAT senior moment? Oops, sorry. Oh well, now you know I'll forgive you all almost anything. hehehe

• kraftylady23
    15 years ago

Oceanna, Those windows are absolutely beautiful. I have always wanted to do one and now maybe when I get a few minutes I will. Did you do yours on plexiglass and then place in the window or did you do yours in sections then apply? Thanks
    Donna

• oceanna
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Donna, thank you for your kind words. They are all one of a kind originals and were a lot of work but fun to do. Each one took me a few days to complete. I think you should do some and I hope you'll post the pictures for us all to see when you do. I would love to see what you come up with!

The first one above is in my bathroom. I did it because I wanted more privacy, but still wanted to see out because my view is pleasant from that window. I created it 100% directly on the window, working on the vertical. It is a sliding window so that was the best way.

The second one, the dragonfly, is at my son's house, is a sidelight and does not open. I did the dragonfly and the flowers on clings at my dining room table. Then I stuck them on the window and completed the rest of the window in situ on the vertical, sealing down the clings as I went -- that entire window is covered with paint. Otherwise, I would not trust a cling not to fall off over time.

The third one is above my front door and sidelight. It does not open. It is 36" x 65" and the window is in a very un-accessible location. For those reasons, doing it on a separate piece and then mounting it up later was the only practical way to accomplish it.

So that's three different windows done in three different ways. Does that answer your question or just muddy the waters?

• forampurohit_gmail_com
    13 years ago

i have started tee shirt painting , and have no clue how to sell them. in India i do not even know places where i can get orders , i want to take this professionally and earn .help me please.. thanks..

• luvstocraft
    13 years ago

I'd suggest that you start with your friends and family. You could paint up a few samples, invite some people over for tea and cake and show them what you are doing. Some of them might order from you and maybe they would tell their friends/family too. Be sure to have some cards ready to hand out with your name and phone # and email. Good luck to you. Luvs

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville