Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoors safe?

Posted by ms_minnamouse (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 23, 09 at 19:26

I'm not sure where to post this question but this seemed a likely place.

I'm going to make a toad house and a toad pond (little, just large enough for it to cool down in). What can I use to paint these? It needs to be non-toxic but can stand up to outside conditions.

I'll probably be making these out of white/gray clay.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoors safe?

For the pond surface (or bird bath bowls etc.), it is recommended you use a pool paint for the interior surface, the same paint used for painting the interior of swimming pools.

Outdoor paints that will work for the toad house and any surrounding decor on the pond feature are....Patio Paint, Plaid's Outdoor Paint, and even Plaid's FolkArt Acrylic Enamel if you want a glazed look to your surface.

Patio Paint requires no special prep and doesn't need a sealer and holds up well to the elements.

FolkArt acrylic Enamel can be baked on your pieces or air dried for 21-22 days to make it permanent. If using terra cotta you could actually bake your pieces in your oven. It's made to withstand microwaves and dishwashers so it will hold up well to the weather.

I personally still like to put a UV finish on my outside pieces to prevent the colors from fading over time. And to keep your pieces looking great for years to come, fresh sealer should be applied every year.

o

Thanks! You really helped. What UV finish do you use?

o

I use either a clear Krylon UV protection spray or Rustoleum Diamond Varathane UV protection brush-on water based finish. The latter I usually use on wood pieces, the Krylon spray on just about everything else. The Krylon spray would be fine for your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here