Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

My egret looks a little too happy!

paintingfool
14 years ago

I am working on this painting and I have to tweek it a bit. He looks like he is really a happy bird but usually egrets have a more stern look to their face. This is the first time I have painted one with his neck all curled down into the chest and I have to finish his feet and the branch but his face is bugging me. Let me hear your opinions, and don't worry about hurting my feelings. I drew this bird on the board from a photo and I may have him a little off proportioned - maybe is cheeks are a little too full. I can fix it but need your help.

B

Comments (14)

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Being a happy fella isn't a problem for me at all! He looks gorgeous--errr handsome. You sure did an excellent job on those feathers--look so fluffy and wonderful. And his eye and beak--really nice painting job. Luvs

• kraftymom
    14 years ago

You inspire me to go back to painting some wildlife, your Egret is wonderful! You have got doing feathers down pat!

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

He looks just perfect to me. The background brings out his color, his eye is eye catching and the feathers are so wind blown. So....stop looking at the photo and paint what is pleasing to you, think I have heard those words before, maybe from you to me!

TY for sharing!

Belle

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ok, I think I have fixed his face. His cheeks were a little too puffy. Now I like him a little better. Can you tell the difference?
    {{!gwi}}

• Vique_Pa
    14 years ago

Make the branch a little thicker and his feet just a little larger, but not so large that he can curl his toes until the back one touches the others. I don't think a branch that size would hold a full grown egret. There are egrets who come to my daughters pond and they are very large. Vique.

• Vique_Pa
    14 years ago

I forgot to tell you I think the bird is beautiful! Vique

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all - I do appreciate the comments. But I just didn't like the bird so I sanded it down to the bare wood and will start over with a different photo. In this photo he looked out of proportion to me. So, when I am finished I will repost.

What has everyone been up to?

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

OMG! You sanded down those beautiful feathers???? PF, you could have given it to someone as a gift and they would have been thrilled with it! You are waaaay too hard on yourself and too much of a perfectionist! Luvs

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Wow, I'm waaaaaaaaaay to late for this party. I'm so sad that you are starting over. Bebe, next time you want a new piece of wood, let me know and I'll trade you.LOL I loved the wispy feathers on your bird.

I can hardly wait to see your next picture if this one didn't please you.

Punk

• pezabelle
    14 years ago

Golly Gee Whiz! I had to pick my chin up off the floor in order to get to my keyboard.

I understand about getting him right....but he looked really great to me. I do agree the thinner cheek looked better, and you changed some of the body feather as well as "fogged" the legs and branches. Kind of tells me you were not happy with that area either. So, you go girl and get 'er done so we can drool some more.

Can't wait to see the next one.

Belle

• anjabee
    14 years ago

AAAAAAhhhhhhh! You did what!!??!?!?! Sanded down that beauty??? Do you want me to tan your hide for you? hahahaha Bad Bebe Bad!! ha I was sitting here just drooling over how beautiful he was and it hit me like a punch in the guts in the next post that you sanded him down. Girl, what are we going to do with you? Will wait to see finished egret. My favorite place to spot them is in the swamps with the cyprus stumps all around back home. ~Anj

• anjabee
    14 years ago

I just came in here to shake my head some more and mourn over the lost egret. tsk tsk tsk He's not too happy now, is he????......he's been sanded. Wah! (pout)

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yall are so funny!! I just came in to check email since it is almost three in the morning and I can't sleep. Yep, he's gone but I will bring him back soon. I am pretty picky about painting and this one just didn't do it for me. I am going to paint him with his neck stretched out, that is the way I like seeing them. But it will take a few days to get back to it. My hubby has not been going by his regular schedule and that has thrown me off track. He decided to take me fishing so I could use my new pink fishing pole - instead of playing golf. Well, I love to fish so I put down my paint brushes for a little while and caught just one fish before it got too hot and had to leave.

Anj, I love the swamps - I have painted on cypress knees but I don't have one to share. I have about six waiting for a Santa to be painted on them and hope to get them done by Christmas.

Guess I will get a cup of coffee (decaf) and check out the Soaps on SoapNet.

• barbaraw4
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, I fell in love with this beautiful painting. As I read along, liked the change you made and loved everything about the project. Beautiful background, great colors. The bird/feathers looked so perfect and fluffy.
    Then I read that you sanded it away, I nearly got tears in my eyes. I agree that a picture with the neck stretched out will be beautiful, but this guy was beautiful too.
    Can't wait to see the next one.
    Barbara

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County