Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susy_gw

Outdoor fabric paint--

Susy
16 years ago

Hi--

My patio chair cushions are faded. I don't want to replace right now and was thinking about painting the front of the cushions.

Any ideas for paint to use? Thanks.

Comments (12)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Susy, welcome to the painting forum.

I was just at Lowe's last night to get some spray gloss paint. I was looking at all the paints, and I noticed that they had a spray on fabric paint. You might check it out. I do not know if it would hold up under outdoor conditions or not. I probably would have read the can, but as you know, they keep all the spray paints locked up.

I need a new cushion for my outdoor swing and haven't been able to find replacements anywhere. If you or anyone on here happens to know of a source, I sure would love to know. DH is telling me that I should make a new one myself--but that looks like allot of work to me! LOL

Please come back and let us know what you find out, okay?

Luvs

• Susy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the idea and No, I didn't know they had the spray paints locked up! Guess I will have to get a salesperson to help when I get a chance to get to Lowe's.

Is your swing like a wooden porch swing? What size? Will keep a look out.

Thanks------

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Susy, it's one of those metal free standing ones with the canopy on top. I've searched the net and contacted a couple of local patio stores. Guess if the cushion or canopy wear out, you are just supposed to buy a new swing! LOL

Yes, you need to get a sales clerk in the paint dept. to assist you. I think they had to lock them up to keep the kids from using them for graffiti. Maybe they can even offer some suggestions for your cushions.

Luvs

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

May I suggest you just cover your old cushions with new outdoor fabric. One, since Walmart is getting rid of their fabric dept, check them out for great deals. Two, are you signed up for Joann's Craft Store 40% off coupons. The outdoor fabric is pricey but getting it at a bargain makes it all the much better. Or check out fabric stores for sale pieces. I recovered some chair cushions last year and although they aren't perfectly cut and sewed to fit the shape of the cushion, I just made big pillow cases in essence and I think they look fantastic. I got the stripped fabric at Walmart for about $3 a yard.

Sal

{{gwi:139766}}

Sal

• Susy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, that is an idea I had played with. Will check out the fabric at Wal-Mart and a Dollar type store near has lots of material and some upholstery material. I have 6 chairs to do but doing the "pillow case" method wouldn't be too bad--I can sew a fairly straight seam. (Grin) May do this if the paint idea doesn't pan out.

Your picture looks bright and cheery--love the striped fabric.

• zensu_wowway_com
    15 years ago

Luvs
    Just bought an alternative to swing cushions at Lowes. We used 3 high back chair cushions with ties on them. They look awesome and are more comfortable than regular swing cushions. You can also get standard backed for lower swing backs. I'm now trying to find an outdoor fabric paint for the canopy. Covering is a good suggestion but sewing is not an option (LOL).
    Suze

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Luvs~ my mom has one of those swings too. This year it is starting to rip a little so I'm sure we'll be in the need of replacement seats soon too. I was thinking of taking the material off completely and doing a weave with some of that nylon yarn. You know the thick stuff they used to use in macrame? My friend used to take apart lawn chairs and weave it into patterns like football logos and things like that (like the ones in the link below). I won't be able to do anything like that, but I may try to give the woven backs a try as an alternative to throwing away the swing. Do you think something like that would work?? ~Anj

Here is a link that might be useful: woven lawn chairs

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Anj, there are sure some pretty patterns there. Even a very simple design would look good.

I kept using my existing cushion--just removed the torn up canopy part of the swing. My swing does have a back and seat in it--just much more comfortable with the cushion on it. My cushion covers the back and seat.

Suze, I might end up trying the three chair cushions on it and see how that would work. Can always try it and return them if it doesn't work for me. Worth a try!

Luvs

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

Take a look at this post on GJ. She says they used wood. Boy what a difference their wood fence and the vines made too! Looks like she is just using regular chair cushions in the swing too. Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn swing remade

• anjabee
    15 years ago

Luvs...is that the kind of swing you have cause that looks just like my moms. I hope she replies to your ?? about the wood. Hers turned out really pretty and you are right, it looks really nice with the new fence and all the flowers matured. ~Anj

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

No, I wish I had one like that one. Mine is a bench seat. That's why I'm not sure individual cushions would work for me. Luvs

• kraftymom
    14 years ago

For fabrics I use Tulips So-Soft fabric paint. Great stuff, very flexible when dry, and won't crack...ever! And the best part is unlike other fabric paints you do not have to heat set them. Just paint, let cure for 24 hours and you are done!

http://www.decoart.com/cgi-bin/Products.cgi?So-Soft_Fabric_Acrylics