Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gesso Questions....

Posted by anjabee (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 15:05

This is my first time using gesso. For those who are experienced with it....do you really have to wait 24 hours for it to dry and paint on it? And how many coats do you usually put on. Is one generally sufficient? I am painting on metal. Any other tips welcomed. ~Anj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gesso Questions....

Depending on what kind of metal, maybe you should first use a metal primer. As for the gesso, 2 coats is the way to go. Apply the first coat, let dry thoroughly and then the second. You can even sand between coats depending on the surface you prefer. I always do 2 coats, and wait till it's completely dry. 24 hours seems a little long, but that will depend on climate.
Follow the directions as closely as possible. But, if it's dry to the touch, go for it!!! I hate waiting.

o
RE: Gesso Questions....

Ditto to the above, and I do two coats, but when possible I do one coat side to side and the second coat top to bottom. It can also be lightly sanded when dry.

And as paintergirl said, use a metal primer. It is like an adhesive and your finished work of art will not chip for scratch as easily.

I have also heard that if you use two coats of the same kind of wax used on wooden bowls, it gives you a harder surface. Sure leaves a pretty finish.

Nice to see you back!

Belle

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here