Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Varnish over acrylic paint

Posted by sowngrow (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 17, 11 at 12:37

I am painting leather with acrylic paints and the Americana Duraclear gloss varnish has yellowed over the paint. The container says it's non-yellowing. This hasn't happened before when I've used it over acrylic paint on leather. Any recommendations for a good varnish for this type of thing? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Varnish over acrylic paint

My first question would be how old is the varnish? My 2nd would be what color was the leather you put it on? It may have absorbed some color from that.

Before good fabric paints came along I would mix my multi-purpose varnish into my paint to eliminate the need to varnish afterwards. Multi-Purpose Sealers are adhesive and durable and they seal most hard craft surfaces for indoor or outdoor use. They can even be mixed with paints to eliminate the need to varnish outdoor surfaces.

I have used Flecto Varathane Diamond Satin finish for many years with great success (now owned and sold by Rustoleum).

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=70

More info.....

http://www.polyclay.com/varathane.htm

These days I prefer to use a paint that's made for the surface so I don't have to deal with a finish. I absolutely love Tulip's So-Soft Fabric paint. It air cures and you don't need to seal or heat set it.

o

Thank you for your insight. The varnish is new. I got to thinking and I think my brush may have gotten mixed up with one I had used with paint. That would explain why this hasn't occured before. I think I will try mixing the varnish with the paint like you mentioned. Thanks again!

o

I am curious to know what you are painting. :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Decorative & Tole Painting Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here