Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amart45

Painting on Plastic Containers

amart45
16 years ago

I have been working on a new craft project for my Grandchildren. I am painting on plastic storage containers to be used for my grandkids toys. I am having so much fun downloading the graphics off of the computer and coping them onto the container. I am using DecColor Paint Pens to color the graphics. Has anyone ever done this kind of painting.

I am not sure if they need to be treated with a sealer to protect the paint from coming off.

Would appreciate any help or advise.

Thanks so much, Anne

Comments (6)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Anne, Welcome to the Painting forum. That sounds really cute, can't wait to see pics of your project. ;o)

I've never used the paint pens, but I did paint on some plastic containers just using my regular acrylic paints.

I'm a big fan of the spray sealers. I'd suggest you spray on a couple coats to protect your designs--can't hurt and might help protect them longer.

Here's my boxes for you to see, just click on the pics for a larger view:

• kraftymom
    16 years ago

Sounds like a cute project. Paint pens don't always need a sealer depending on the brand but if the items are to be handled regularly I would definitely seal them with a clear acrylic spray sealer for more protection.

For painting on plastic I've always used Plaid's 'Paint for Plastic'. It doesn't need a sealer and gently hand washes nicely.

• amart45
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much ladies for all the good information. This weekend I went to Michaels Craft Store and finally found someone that worked with these paint pens. She recommended using the brand "Painters", but said that the "DecoColor" pens work as well. She did not think I need to use a sealer unless I use acrylic paint. I already made a big investment in the DecoColor Pens, but going forward I will be buying "Painter Pens, and I will look into the Plaid's"Paint for Plastic".
    I plan to take some picture and post them.
    Thanks again!
    Anne

• littlefish4now
    2 years ago

i am presently trying to paint a clear plastic bin for a 3 year old i am trying everything aside from oil based paint pens (i dont have any of those) the paint for plastic i used pealed right off in one layer now trying acrylic paint pens and acrylic paint To seal it after painted i heard to use mod podge or a spray varnish does anyone know if i have to coat the entire box or just where painted? help please! thanks 🙃

• amart45
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I use Sharpie paint pens or Decocolor paint pens. I buy them in Michael's. No need to use sealer. They come in fine line, medium and bold. I use the medium and outline with the fine line in black. They come in tons of colors but not Cheap! If you read the above posts from years ago..there more info. Be sure

The container are clean , or wipe with paint thinner. More info you can contact me at amart1945@gmail.com.

• littlefish4now
    2 years ago

Hi everyone! FYI-The sharpie paint pens are oil based. no need to seal oil based pens/paint. I’ve used the ”painters” pens and I find they are unreliable as the nib frays and paint dries up quickly. Also, the paint thats specifically for plastic peeled off in one sheet and came off as I was working on the rest of the box. My question was if I do seal the project (most likely) do I use the sealer on the entire box or just the parts I painted? I think It would be hard to just seal the painted parts as I painted the girls name and painted some princesses on it as well. plus I feel that the parts I sealed will be much shinier than the rest of the box. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks so much! Happy painting!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus