Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvstocraft

Question for Painting Fool

luvstocraft
16 years ago

Hi Bebe, I found some spoons with sorta neat handles at the TS and want to paint Santa faces on them. I spray painted them with primer. Now do I just spray them with a flat white paint and then use my acrylics on them? I plan to paint on the back side of the spoon and then bend the handle over. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Luvs

Comments (4)

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Hi Luvs, I just start painting with the acrylic paint after the primer (sometimes I skip the primer). Just be sure to put several coats of varnish on them. Usually I paint the handles after I bend them - the paint will sometimes crack. I also use a bit of gold on my fingers and rub it over the raised area of the spoon - or I have painted little trees or holly on the back of handle depending on the space available. Have fun and post pics
    B

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I haven't painted anything metal in a long time, but I seem to remember having a problem if I went back over an area, the paint would come off. Guess I will just give it a try and see how I do. I'm just trying to think ahead so I don't get it almost done and then somehow mess it up! LOL That's when I get frustrated and give up on it! LOL I'll be sure to post pics IF they turn out decent. ;o) Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

It is a lot like glass so try not to go over an area or make sure you have enough paint on your brush that you aren't moving thin paint. Once the base coats are on, I don't usually have a problem. You could put a coat of sealer on after you put your first layer of paint. That should keep it from moving on you. Can't wait to see your finished product. B

• luvstocraft
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Aha! That's what it was--need to make sure not to try to go back over an area until it has had time to dry good. I like the idea of spraying a coat of matte sealer on before doing the detail painting. Easier to correct a mistake without messing up the basecoat that way. Thanks for your help. Luvs