Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

painting with color pencils

paintingfool
16 years ago

These are the color pencil paintings I did with Janelle Johnson today. I have never painted with pencils before but it was a lot of fun. The bird is on mitentes paper and the calla lilies are on a died handmade paper. I will be doing a rose tomorrow. B

{{!gwi}}
{{!gwi}}

Comments (9)

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

OMG, Those are gorgeous!! Please tell us more,like how do you Paint with a Colored Pencil??The details are awesome,and they are so realistic.And who is Janelle Johnson,is she a local to you artist or a big name artist??

TFS
    Kathi

• anjabee
    16 years ago

Bebe~ all I can say is....beautiful as always. You are just a natural with all mediums. :) ~Anj

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks yall. Janelle Johnson is from Kansas and she paints only with color pencil (janellejohnson.com). Since this was my first time I didn't know what to expect but I was pleased with the results. It is like coloring with crayons except with the lilies you started with the base color and for the shading you went on top of that color. Then you darkened with a deeper shade and finally, you use the base color to blend it together and then white for a highlight. It is similar to drawing something and then using the same pencil to shade and blend. I think she might have videos. What is so good about this is you only need tape, an eraser, and a pencil sharpener and your pencils and you can paint anywhere. I will post the rose later today - I'm off, I have an hours drive to get to class.
    B

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'm back. This crazy day light savings time has really messed up my morning. I got up this morning knowing I had to pick up two ladies that are going with me at 7 am so we could be in Mobile by 8:30 am. I looked at the clock and reminded my husband to turn the clocks forward. Then went to pick up my friends - when I got to their house they didn't come out so I called them - that's when I realized I was an hour early - they were just getting out of bed!! Apparently, the cable box automatically changes the time and I thought I was still on regular time. I think today might just be a little weird for me.
    Later,
    B

• oddie
    16 years ago

Just beautiful! you do such a wonderful job, and must be a very fast learner to paint such beautiful frist timers useing new products! in the past I have made my own paper, but never thought to paint on it.
    your bird is so real looking, everything you do is so beautifuly done!
    the time change can sure mess with you, I showed up at work a hour early a few years ago, my shift started at 6:00 am! was not happy, made for a auful day.
    oddie

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Painting Fool, you are just amazing! You must have such good dexterity and control of whatever brush or pencil you use. You do amazing work! Just beautiful. Luvs

• kraftymom
    16 years ago

Those are awesome! When you said you were painting with colored pencils I thought you meant water color pencils but I stand corrected. That is really a nice technique - nice job!!

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

These are so beautiful. I did a picture with colored pencils but didn't care for mine. After seeing yours I'll have to go back and see if I can try agin. How do you blend with pencils? I also tried charcoal pencil and just a reg. pencil once when my SIL had me try it but I don't remember liking the ending results. U could put yours up and have something that everyone would enjoy that comes to visit. How long did it take u to do these? I think I just used white paper so maybe that is part of the problem.

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I think it is better to paint on color paper. The calla lily is painted on a homemade paper and the bird on mitentes paper - and the rose on another post was on mitentes paper. It is only about $2 for a 24" square. The technique was very easy - you have to keep your pencils very sharp. Sharpen first with an electric sharpener and then when painting use a hand held to keep the point nice and crisp. The first color to put on is similar to the background color, just fill in loosely - don't press hard. Then start your next color - like in the calla lily, we started with a light yellow then we used a pink color following the growth direction of the petal using a little more pressure. Then we shaded in the darkest triangle areas, then added a little green near the throat and where the flower meets the stem. We finished off by using the same base color to go over the entire flower - that blends the colors. The leaves were done basicly the same way. Then to seal the pencil to the paper we used Krylon Final Coat - I think that is the name but I will have to double check that for you. Then frame it. Some of the students mounted their paper to wood boxes with a decoupage glue - but not the top of the paper. It looks just like a painted background when completed. I preferred to frame mine. Check out her website - www.janellejohnson.com. It took a 7 hour class on Saturday to do the bird and the calla lily (we had lots of breaks and lunch) and the rose was finished in about 6 hours (lots of breaks and lunch also.) It was a nice break from acrylics - no water, no towels, no brushes, no clean up. It was fun to do something a little different.
    B

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living