Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

My pencil rose

paintingfool
16 years ago

Yall would just love this pencil painting. Here is the rose, there is still a gold border to go around but I am too tired to finish it. This was amazingly simple to do. Everybody had a different color rose today. Hope you like it.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• brendastarr
    16 years ago

Wow, That is magnificent....looks like it took a long time ......is it done with watercolor pencils....I"ve played around with them but nothing like that.....absolutely beautiful........

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda,
    It is done with Prismacolor Pencils, not watercolor or oil. It is done by putting down a base color and then filling in with the middle value - like pink then shading with a darker value - like red, then deepening the shading with a dark red, then blending the colors with a cream color. It took from 9-4 pm. Of course, we talk a lot, we eat even more and we took several get up and walk around breaks. The lady who was the teacher is www.janellejohnson.com. She was really good and said she had been doing exclusively pencils for 10 years. I am still going to tweek mine, I am not crazy about the middle rose, I don't like the center so I need to leave it alone for a while and they come back with a fresh eye.
    Thanks for the compliment.
    B

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Just gorgeous P.F., love all the shading, hiliting, and details you were able to add. Very beautiful. Luvs

• kraftymom
    16 years ago

Holy cow! Your roses are gorgeous!! This is really a technique I could become interested in.

• brendastarr
    16 years ago

I'v seen those pencils in Michael's ...........they are quite pricey......but whatever u paid for them it was worth it .....the Roses are beautiful

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I paid $1.30 (which included freight) each but I only bought the ones I needed. However, several of the ladies in the group bought the whole package and got them with the 40% off coupon. I am not sure I want to continue with this technique but you never know if you are going to like something until you try it.

My first love is still oils then acrylic. But I am open to trying anything new. Thanks again.
    B

• brendastarr
    16 years ago

PF......... have u ever taken a class with Cheri Rol.......I took one with her years ago at convention and really enjoyed the oils......wasn't crazy about all the mixing though....spent more time mixing than painting....too used to the ease of acrylics.....

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brenda, no I have not had the opportunity. I have taken from Jeanne Downing (loved her and the painting), Deanne Fortnam (beautiful painter but she was sick during the seminar so I am not sure what she is really like), Sherry Nelson (tells wonderful stories about her adventures), Priscilla Hauser (All business and ultimate salesperson), Brenda Stewart (very sweet), Judy Nutter, Bobbie Campbell, Peggy Harris, and so many others. I have done oils, acrylic, watercolor, pastels, and now pencils. I just love to paint.

What convention did you go to? Was it the NSTDP National Convention? I have only been to the ones in Nashville and now to Tampa. This time I am taking a class in calligraphy.
    B

• brendastarr
    16 years ago

Hi PF.....I have also taken a class with Jeanne Downing oils on a ceramic plate, Deanne Fortman, Pat Clark,Judy Diephouse,....so many I'v lost track....and of course Priscilla the Queen....she is an experience isn't she.....but so much fun......I started going to convention in "92 to Kansas City and went to National every year after that except never made it to Nashville.....that year we went to Hoot....Hoot is great, and once you experience that "all under one roof" thing, the idea of the convention floor, and classrooms all in one place spoils you.....We are pretty lucky here, we have 4 local chapters and they all bring in the "big Brushes", so we have our choice of classes to take ...and pretty reasonable....much cheaper than going to convention.....

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Brenda, I only attend national when it is close by but I did make the 14 hour trip to HOOT last year. It was so fun. I hated the drive but loved winning the raffle where I got my hotel room for one week paid for by HOOT. I heard from Brenda (Stewart) that National is trying to locate a place where we can go every year for the convention and it will be more centrally located. Janelle Johnson said they have not yet completed the contracts but we should know soon and will announce it shortly. Hope it isn't too far from Florida. Our chapter is very small, only about 30 members, but we still bring in the "Big Brushes" twice a year and there are four other chapters within a few hours where we can attend their functions. More than taking classes, I love the Exposition Hall where you can find anything to do with painting in one room.

• brendastarr
    16 years ago

Hi PF, I agree that the trade floor is wonderful....I remember my first convention in KansasCity.....I don't think my feet touched the floor the whole time I was there...I was so excited......like a kid in a candy store.....but National needs to do something because attendance is way down from what I understand......and people really like Hoot.....I refrain from going to convention, as much as I love it because I have too too many unfinished pieces and I'm lucky enough to have a painting room but it so so crowded that I absolutely cannot buy another thing.....great chatting with you.......BS

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

How beautiful. I love your roses. Please post a picture when you finish. Do you plan on framing it?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA