Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgoddess_01

painting roses??

dreamgoddess
16 years ago

I am determined to get back into painting and I wanna learn to do roses. I found a worksheet for One Stroke Roses on ebay that I'm considering buying. I was just wondering if anyone has ever used these to learn how to paint roses and how they turned out.

Or can you suggest another book that I could try? There are no classes here where I live, and I don't know anyone who paints that could help me. I'm basically on my own trying to do this so all advice would really be appreciated!

Comments (14)

• annabell40
    16 years ago

dreamgoddess

How about searching for free video tutorials on the web? I've learned a little bit that way. Also, your local library?

I recently took an on-line drawing class from my community college and loved it. I paid $99 and it was well worth it.

Take Care

:) Anna

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

DG - Donna Dewberry's One Stroke Rose worksheet should be a big help to you in getting started on painting. Of course, you picked one of the harded flowers to do. There is a painter on this forum that paints very pretty One Stroke Roses, here name is Luvs. She would be the best at giving any advice on the worksheet. You can also check You Tube, just type in Painting roses. There are several tutorials (very short ones) on painting roses. You might also check the Society of Decorative Painters for a teacher in your area. Go to www.decorativepainters.com, on the left side of the page click on Chapter Information, The click on How to Find a Chapter, then Chapter directory, click on the country you are in, then the state, and a list of chapter will show up. You can then email the chapter president and find out if anyone is teaching in your area. Good luck,
    B

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Hi Dreamgoddess, Nice to see you here on the painting forum. With your wonderful victorian decorating, you really should learn to paint roses. You can paint them on so many things, wood pieces, metal trays, glass items, fabric, etc.

This subject has come up many times on this forum, and there are so many painters who do beautiful roses. I learned by buying a book and video of Donna Dewberry. I loved having the video because I could rewind and watch portions over and over until I really understood how she held the brush and how she made the stroke. There are always worksheets in her books that you can just put a clear sheet protector over so you can practice on it, then wipe it off and practice some more. I find it a fun fast way to paint, I can complete a project in just a few hours using the one stroke method where I might spend a few hours of several days using the regular painting methods. You can see some of my projects on the gallery section of this forum. I think her book titled "Roses" also includes a DVD. She has a website and you can also find videos of her television classes on the PBS website. I will post a link to U tube for you to see--it is short and quick.

Now with that said, I want to let you know that our very own Painting Fool also paints absolutely gorgeous roses using stroke painting. She even posted a worksheet for us showing each step. Her rose is more soft and open than the Dewberry rose. I have the worksheet saved on my computer, but don't know how to repost it here. Will have to see if we can find the original post on here for you.

Please come back and ask any questions you might have, we will be glad to help you get started. You will love it!

Luvs

Here is a link that might be useful: Donna Dewberry on Utube

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Anna, thank you for suggestions. I'm going to the library tomorrow and see if they might have anything.

PF, thank you for the website. I checked it out, and there are two chapters that are about 2 hours away from me. One is in Mobile and the other one in Pensacola. I need to find out some more info, so I might send an e-mail to the chapter presidents.

Luvs, thank you for the video link. That was so cool! This is something that I've really been wanting to do for a while. I thought the video and books that I found on ebay would be a good idea just for the reasons you gave. Does she go into alot of detail in the video? Like brushes to use, or what kind of paint, etc?

I wish you could repost PF's worksheet! I would love to see it. If you can't find the original post, would it be possible to maybe e-mail the worksheet to me? Or PF, do you still have the worksheet that you might could post again?

Thanks again ladies for all the help! I'm off to check out the gallery and see what kind of pretties I can find.

• kraftymom
    16 years ago

Dewberry's worksheets will definitely get you painting roses. They are easy to use and the instructions are easy to follow.
    I am a big fan of Ros Stallcup and LOVE her roses - they are so realistic. You might want to take a peak inside on of her books. If you have a Michael's near by they always carry Stallcup's books. Half Price Books is another great source for painting books of all kinds and they usually have some Dewberry.

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

Kraftymom, I took a class with Ros last weekend in Panama City, FLorida. We had ladies from all over - one from Indiana, one from Cullman, Alabama, several from Enterprise, Alabama and the rest from Florida. We painted a beach scene and apples, lemons and grapes (I posted pics under the same). I thought we would have at least painted flowers because she is so good at it but that is not what the chapter wanted. Ros also has a video tape of roses and hydrangeas. She insisted we not use patterns and it was great fun.

DreamGoddess - you live very near me and I am the President of the Chapter in Pensacola. The Mobile group is going to have Janelle Johnson on 8 March and Mary Wiseman next April. Our chapter is having a lady from Tallahassee in August and Ginger Edwards in October. If you want to take any of these classes let me know, you can stay with me - I have no children at home, no pets, and do not smoke - I do have a husband but he is harmless and a really great cook. Send me an email (see DecorativePainters.com) and I will be happy to tell you about the chapters.
    I think I deleted the worksheet from my photo album but will work up another one this week.
    B

• kraftymom
    16 years ago

For years I have been wanting to get involved in a chapter of the Society of Decorative Painters. Unfortunately the 2 chapters closest to me are a long drive in 2 directions - too long a drive for just once a month in the traffic around here. That's why I have relyed on the www for staying in touch with other painters. You are very lucky.

BUT....
    the annual painting convention held by one of those groups will be held by our SeaTac airport this year and I just happen to be a hop, skip, and a jump from there! So I am hoping to make an appearance at least to do some shopping. They have a great line-up of artists coming as usual to teach classes.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Painting Fool, that is so great that you will get to paint with those wonderful artist/designer/painters. I love looking at all Ros Stallcup's designs, and think Ginger Edwards does amazing work too. I've not tried any of their designs--the realistic painting always looks so hard to me!

Dreamgoddess, not to worry. At the beginning of every book and video, Donna Dewberry shows you how to load the brush, and gives brush sizes. She mostly uses Folkart paints and has her own line of brushes which are good and not too expensive. You can usually find everything at Walmart, Michael's and Joanne's.

Your very first attempt may come out wonderful, especially if you have prior experience, but even if it doesn't--you can clean it off and try again. The more you do it, the easier it gets. Just have fun with it and you will be amazed at what you can create. ;o)

Luvs

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, paintingfool, that is so cool that you are the president of the Pensacola chapter! I'm totally swamped at work right now, but will definitely send you an e-mail when I have a free moment. I would love to find out more info about the chapter. I have a ton of questions!

Luvs, I took the plunge...I bought the Dewberry materials on ebay last night. I ended up with 2 books and a video from one seller, and a worksheet that has 6 different designs from another seller. I'm so excited and can't wait to get these! It'll probably be a little while though, cause one of the sellers is in WI, and she's shipping it media mail (very slow!).

I've had a little prior experience with painting, but that was about 20 years ago. Not too sure how much of it I remember after all this time, so it's great that she shows how to load the brushes and which ones to use.

I'm just so excited!!! I can't wait!!!!

• dreamgoddess
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Paintingfool, I forgot to add, if you do have time to work up another worksheet, that would be fantastic! I would really appreciate it!!

• retiree43
    16 years ago

Paintingfool, I too would love to have your rose worksheet. Perhaps you would do another one and post it for those of who are new?? We would be most grateful!

Luvstocraft, if you still have the first rose worksheet saved on your computer wouldn't you be able to post it the same was others post their pictures?

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Retiree, I have tried to repost it, but I have a fairly new Mac, and when I saved this one, it did not get saved in Iphoto but in another file. Nothing I've tried let's me get it over to Iphoto so I could put it on Photobucket and repost it. I sure miss my old computer--maybe someday I'll figure this one out--probably about the time it conks out on me! LOL

Luvs

• paintingfool
    16 years ago

I just found this on You Tube and thought you might like to see it - check out cindi knighton painting cottage roses. She has developed her own style by attending classes with Priscilla Hauser, Donna Dewberry, etc. She has a work sheet on her website - www.cindiknighton.com

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

That was fun to look at. Her style is more Parrella (sp) than Dewberry to me. She's done some very pretty things. TFS. Luvs