Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
craftylady_2006

Acrylics in the Oven

craftylady-2006
17 years ago

Hi Folks,

Sandi on the Christmas & Holiday forum has asked me if you can paint cheap glassware using acrylic paints - and bake them like you would using enamel paints? Will this work? Would the acrylics melt? Can anyone help with an answer here or in the Holiday forum. Thanks.

Sal

Comments (14)

• nancelee
    17 years ago

I haven't tried this but I don't think the paint will stay on. I have, however, used acrylic and then used the glaze for PermEnamels on top of the paint after it's well dried. It's very durable then.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sal, I would imagine that plain water based acrylics would just dry out and flake off in the oven.

The only way I would use plain acrylic on glass is if it were just a decoration I did not plan or need to wash.

Perhaps Nancelee's suggestion would work. Easier and less expensive to buy just the glaze instead of a whole bunch of special paints if you don't plan to do allot more projects.

I've used just my regular acrylics on some jars, then sprayed Krylon 1311 on them, then the Krylon gloss sealer--but those were just used as decorative candle holders.

For glasses, I think it would be best to use the actual paint made for glassware. Also, it is important to make sure the paint is down from the lip at least and inch or so--away from where the lips will touch.

Hope this helps. Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Sal, Nancelee and Luvs, Thank you all for your help on painting glass. I wll definitely buy a glass paint. I know Michael's has the Delta PermEnamel & Pebeo's Vitrea 160. I believe you don't bake the Delta, but do have to bake the Pebeo. Since I will be using cheap glassware it might be safer to not have to bake. Would yall recommed one of these brand's or is there a better one?

• nancelee
    17 years ago

I think it depends on just what effect you want in the end result. Pebeo is a thin, transparent paint and it's more difficult to get good coverage on glass using it rather than the PermEnamel. Also, the Pebeo is more expensive but when it's baked it melts into the glass and is permanent, which is a good point for glasses that will be used.

I prefer to use PermEnamel by Delta(better coverage) for hummingbird feeders made from wine bottles which I leave outdoors year round and it gets very cold here in zone 5. After 2 years the paint is still the same as when it was new and this past winter we had ice storms and a snow blizzard.So this is also very durable. Just a little FYI. Hope this isn't too confusing. Nancelee

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Nancelee, Thank you for the additional information. I will try the PermEnamel. If it has held up for your outside for 2 years it should do fine for goblets and bowls that won't be used every day. I really appreciate you posting this message here Sal, and thank you Sal, Luvs and Nancelee for all of your help.

• craftylady-2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

You're Welcome Sandi,

Sal

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, I am glad we could all help, especially Nancelee who is more experienced with painting on glass.

Nancelee, sure hope you will share pics of some of your projects with us here.

Sal, you are so great, if you are not sure about an answer for someone--you sure make the effort to point them in the right direction. Thanks for always caring so much. ;o)

Luvs

• nancelee
    17 years ago

You're welcome Sandi.

Luvstocraft--I used to be able to post pictures here but I guess my rememberer is broke. lol

Nancy

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Nancelee, I just bumped up some old posts that explain how to post pics. Take a quick look--maybe they will fix your "rememberer". ;o) We would love to see your pics.

You can just type Luvs--the rest is to long to type everytime. ;o) Nice to have you joining in here. Luvs

• defrost49
    17 years ago

You have your choice between paints designed to be used on glass and regular acrylic paints mixed with a glass and tile medium. The glass paints would be the most durable. Just a reminder on PermEnamel that they require PermEnamel Surface Conditioner. It smells like plain alcohol but really contains something else as well that helps the paint adhere to glass and ceramic. If I remember correctly, you need to paint within 3 hours of brushing the surface with the conditioner. Neither Delta, nor DecoArt and Plaid did testing with food so they don't recommend using the paint where it will come in contact with food or mouth. So, on cups and glasses, don't paint near the rim. It probably won't hurt you but since they didn't do the testing they can't say it's food safe. I have some cups I painted when PermEnamel first came out. I don't use them often because they are snowman faces but they go thru the dishwasher just fine on the top rack. The PermEnamel paints were designed to bond with the silica in glass and ceramics. Just remember to observe the recommended cure time or baking time.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Defrost, Thank you for your help also. I bought the PermEnamels and am going to try them today. I also bought the conditioner, but forgot to buy the glaze that goes on top. Does the conditioner need to be applied within a certain length of time after applying the actual paint?

I'm only going to be painting some very simple primitive flowers and want the conditioner only under the paint itself so I'm going to try 1 test glass first to see how hard it is to see the conditioner as I apply it and how hard it will be to see to paint over it. Wish me luck ladies.

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Ok, I know I'm one of those irritating people that always believe there has to be a shortcut. I was googling to see if anyone had successfully eliminated the first step of applying the conditioner with success and found the info below at a Delta site. I won't be using the stemware in the oven, microwave or dishwasher. Has anyone here tried the paint without the conditioner and had good luck? And again, thank you everyone for your help.

Q: PermEnamel Surface Conditioner smells like rubbing alcohol. Is it all alcohol?
    A: No. While PermEnamel Surface Conditioner uses a base of isopropyl alcohol (hence its distinctive odor), it also contains special bonding agents. Isopropyl alcohol used alone is not sufficient for preparing surfaces for use with PermEnamel. The designs will not be dishwasher-safe, microwave-safe and oven-safe unless the Surface Conditioner is used.

• luvstocraft
    17 years ago

Sandi, If you only want the glasses for possibly one time only--you can even just paint them with regular acrylic paints. I've done that with things like vases or votive holders that I can just dust off and not wash in water.

But even with a couple coats of sealer, the paint will come off if you wash them in water. Would be a shame to do all that painting, just to lose it, don't you think? Luvs

• Sandi_W
    17 years ago

Luvs, I knew there wasn't a shortcut, but had to try. LOL I'll do them the right way. With my painting skills it might be a blessing if the paint did come off quickly. Thanks.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES