Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintingfool_gw

Painting with Margot Clark

paintingfool
16 years ago

I will be painting with Margot Clark this weekend in Alabama. A different technique for me - sort of multi-loading but more realistic. Will share my paintings when I get back, wish yall could be there. You can see what we are painting on this blogspot. http://wiregrassdecorativepainters.blogspot.com

Comments (9)

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

I had never heard of Margot Clark, but I looked at the website and those are beautiful projects. Waaay outa my league, but perfect for you P.F., hope you have a great time. Luvs

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

I'm waiting to see your project from painting with Margot. She does fantastic work and with your talent can hardly wait to see what you painted. So happy for u. Did u buy her miracle brush and do you like it?

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

I'm anxiously waiting to see your project too! I already bet it is going to be so beautiful.

Sal

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I am back - loved Margot Clark. She is so down to earth and her painting is beautiful. She does a multi-load technique then she enhances it with shading and floating colors. We practiced on poster board before we attempted the regular surface. Here is my rose - again, it is not finished and this is my practice piece. I have to finish the leaves but we painted until 5:30 pm. I also needed my round bristle brush for the highlights which I did not bring so I had to stop the leaves at that point. Remember this is just the practice piece, I still have to do real one which is about half way done. Everyone had a really pretty flower when they were finished. (there were originally only 3 buds but I was practicing so I added more. I didn't find this to be difficult at all but I did get distracted several times with the ladies on each side of me asking me to show them how to do the strokes - but they were so nice it didn't matter that I messed up the strokes. As you can see there isn't much shading or highlighting in the leaves. Anyway, I loved it and we girls had a really great time.

Yes, I bought the miracle brush but it looked like a regular #1 or #2 round but the hairs were straight across on the end instead of being rounded. I really did not need another brush but didn't know what to substitute her brush with so of course, I didn't have any rounds with me. It was a great class and Margot was a lot of fun.

• luvstocraft
    16 years ago

Wow! That is just gorgeous--I don't see anything missing at all--lots of nice shading and hightlighting, and the rose is just so full and pretty. If I could paint them like that, I'd be painting them on everything I could find! ;o) Glad you enjoyed the class and had fun with the girls. Luvs

• phonegirl
    16 years ago

Thanks for getting back to us so quick! Fantastic. It looks just like Margot would of painted it. Your so good at painting, I can hardly wait to see it finished. Sounds like you had alot of fun painting and I'm sure the ladies you helped will never forget u.

• anjabee
    16 years ago

For some reason the site was not coming up for me, but your rose is beautiful. I like it with a lot of little buds. And I love the brownish tips on your leaves. Very realistic. Awesome job and I can tell you had lots of fun. I'm sure those ladies were grateful for your help and had more fun because you were there. :) ~Anj

• craftylady-2006
    16 years ago

This is a "practice piece" - you're kidding right!!! This is sooooooo beautiful, it's absolutely gorgeous. I can only dream that I could paint this good one day. I love looking at your stuff, it's just perfect.

Sal

• paintingfool
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, it is just a practice piece, we painted on poster board that was painted black. I know I keep saying this but it was not hard at all. It took some practice and she came around to each person and gave us an explanation of what we had done and how to make it better. Oh, I wish I had pictures of what everyone else painted so you could see how well they did. The one thing I really liked about Margot is she will not touch your painting. She demonstrates on her board. So you can see what the basic rose looks like I am posting my real board with what I have done so far. I hope to get it finished this week - as I said before my goal this year is to finish every project I start. As you can see from this piece, it lets you paint the breakdown of the basic rose structure, then you come in with the filler petals, then the tints and shading. This technique is done with a round brush, flattened out by loading in the base color (the warm white) then tapped on one side into the blush, then you pick up the white again on one side only. You dribble the white along the ruffled edge of the petal, brush off any of the white that is left and with the blush color down, slide up into the white, catch it and then pull down the petal. It was frustrating for some of the ladies but they kept going and everyone was totally amazed at the end of the day. Thanks for all of your nice comments. B
    {{!gwi}}

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks